2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas Steering problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 03:38 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you meant -?

1994-2002 Dodge Track Bar Conversion Kit (TBK)Price:From $185.00 to $190.00

This kit will allow you to utilize a 2003+ OEM-style track bar on your 1994 to 2002 Ram pickup. The 2003+ track bar features bushings on each end and should never wear out. As usual (and since we wouldn't have it any other way) it bolts right on in a few minutes. No drilling, welding, or other nasty stuff for you to do. It comes with all necessary hardware, but you will have to supply your own 2003+ OEM track bar or purchase our Non-Adjustable or Adjustable track bar.

The factory track bars on 1994 to 2002 Ram pickups have a ball joint on the upper end that is proven to wear out prematurely. Using this bracket will allow the truck to take a new track bar which has bushings at both ends.

A 2003 and newer OEM-Style Track bar is required with this kit. Your 1994-2002 track bar will not work with this bracket.
The track bar is $500.00 by its self (wow) But I get the idea go from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen and replace stock track bar with a updated adjustable track bar then put in the brace and i should be golden. ( I hope) Thank you Ill do some more research on these parts.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:48 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward J Roesbery Jr.
Is this what you meant -?

1994-2002 Dodge Track Bar Conversion Kit (TBK)Price:From $185.00 to $190.00

This kit will allow you to utilize a 2003+ OEM-style track bar on your 1994 to 2002 Ram pickup. The 2003+ track bar features bushings on each end and should never wear out. As usual (and since we wouldn't have it any other way) it bolts right on in a few minutes. No drilling, welding, or other nasty stuff for you to do. It comes with all necessary hardware, but you will have to supply your own 2003+ OEM track bar or purchase our Non-Adjustable or Adjustable track bar.

The factory track bars on 1994 to 2002 Ram pickups have a ball joint on the upper end that is proven to wear out prematurely. Using this bracket will allow the truck to take a new track bar which has bushings at both ends.

A 2003 and newer OEM-Style Track bar is required with this kit. Your 1994-2002 track bar will not work with this bracket.
The track bar is $500.00 by its self (wow) But I get the idea go from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen and replace stock track bar with a updated adjustable track bar then put in the brace and i should be golden. ( I hope) Thank you Ill do some more research on these parts.
Exactly what I'm talking about. If you search eBay $250 with the bracket and track bar. How good it is I am unsure.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Thank you!!! I will get looking for one now. i knew I came to the right place to ask questions about my truck. I love it just need to make sure it will be around for along time without death wobble killing me. Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:14 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I use the Solid Steel 3rd gen style adjustable track bar on my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 truck. It's a very beefy bar with polyurethane bushings on each end. Its the last track bar you will ever have to buy for your truck, unless you plan on lifting it higher than 3". I also use the steering stabilizer in conjunction with a Borgeson steering box and Borgeson intermediate steering shaft. Not sure if the Borgeson steering box is still available for 2nd gen trucks. I've been very happy with mine, however, the Borgeson steering box sits about 1/2" further off the frame than the stock steering box, which requires a different steering stabilizer part number to work with it. The track bar and steering stabilizer I'm using can be seen here - http://www.solidsteel.biz/

I made these upgrades (along with rebuilding the entire front end) after experiencing death wobble on the interstate at 70MPH.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:52 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

yep - I know how that feels! That is why Im doing this upgrade and fix( it scared the bejeuses out of me and my wife). So Im not wasting anytime ( at my age there is not a lot to waist-(Hehe) Ill look up that Solid Steel 3rd gen style adjustable track bar (did you also need a conversion bar for it)? Im about 3 sec from ordering the dodge ram stabilizer kit - $150.00 I dont think Im gonna find a better one at that cost and is shipped and one piece. So thank you kindly for your advice. Knowledge of from others experience is like candy you can't just eat one (you need to test all the flavors to find out which one you really like). Quote is from me so borrow it if you want.
Anyway thanks again. Im so much appreciating all the good info and advice Im getting from this forum. Keep up the great work.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward J Roesbery Jr.
yep - I know how that feels! That is why Im doing this upgrade and fix( it scared the bejeuses out of me and my wife). So Im not wasting anytime ( at my age there is not a lot to waist-(Hehe) Ill look up that Solid Steel 3rd gen style adjustable track bar (did you also need a conversion bar for it)? Im about 3 sec from ordering the dodge ram stabilizer kit - $150.00 I dont think Im gonna find a better one at that cost and is shipped and one piece. So thank you kindly for your advice. Knowledge of from others experience is like candy you can't just eat one (you need to test all the flavors to find out which one you really like). Quote is from me so borrow it if you want.
Anyway thanks again. Im so much appreciating all the good info and advice Im getting from this forum. Keep up the great work.
Read Thuren's article on steering stabilizers it's more than I can type as my friend Budweiser has my word all mixed up. Then you'll rethink your choice. A good suspension wouldn't need a stabilizer. I'm not running one on my 01 2500 with 40in tires

Old 06-13-2020, 10:53 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Thanks Great read - I have a better understanding of what causes the Death Wobble now. So I think I found a good solution for the track bar issue ( It's from RAREPARTS 4x4 )and it is a Diamond series adjustable track bar direct fit replacement for a stock track bar with 3/4 taper so it eliminates the need for the conversion bracket from 2nd gen to 3d gen steering track bar. Its a SKU: 28444Vehicle : 1998 DODGE RAM 2500
And its a direct replacement so no need for the $189.00 conversion bracket) I can use that money I saved on that upgrade other components that might be effecting the steering. This is what the info said on the website about it. ( Sure, there are a lot of heavy duty, adjustable track bars on the market for 2nd Gen Rams. However, all of these options require you to also add a conversion bracket that relocates the upper frame mount. Guess what this track bar from Rare Parts doesn't require? That's right, this is a direct, drop-in replacement for your worn out track bar that is bigger and beefier than your original and is adjustable to recenter your axle after you've leveled or lifted the truck. Read this it helps https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...e-cummins.aspx anyway that is what I think will be the best answer to my problem ( track Bar anyway and I would have not found it or searched further then I did without all the people that help on this forum (So all of you thanks) now just need to weigh the Pro's and Cons on any other components. Thank you for all the helpful info. Maybe by me posting this it help others looking for the same type of solution.
​​​​​​​

Old 06-13-2020, 11:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

3rd gen trucks use the redesigned track bar to eliminate the ball style joint on the frame end of the bar, which is a failure point. If you plan to keep the truck for a very long time and not constrained by funding, I would use a 3rd gen style track bar with conversion bracket to eliminate a future failure. If you plan to upgrade to another truck down the road and funding is tighter, sounds like you may have found a solution.

As for the steering stabilizer, I use it as insurance to extend the life of the steering box more than anything else.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:35 AM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Thank you I agree - I was thinking though if I was spending $189.00 for the conversion bracket and the adjustable track bar $330.00 that goes with it to make it a 3rd Gen track bar my cost is $519.00 plus shipping. But if I go with the new version RAREPARTS.com adjustable track bar that which is a direct fit and built tens stronger and addresses those original flaws for $224.00 plus shipping. I can afford to get the Dodge ram stabilizer kit from dodgeramstabilizer.com for $150.00 and the Skyjacker 7000 series Duel shock system kit for $169.00 for a total of $543.00 plus shipping. So in a sense I'm getting best of both worlds. A adjustable upgraded heavy duty track bar and duel stabilizer shock system and Dodge Ram stabilizer for $543 plus shipping ( All in all I'm getting the Skyjacker system for $24.00 dollars more and that way I have the best of both worlds. That is what I'm thinking anyway - I could be wrong! But I think it is a wise investment and I plan on keeping Old Red for as long as I can ( Love my Truck and don't want to part with it). So it's like my dog Ill pay out the nose to have him checked at the vet so my truck is just as important. My dog can only bite me and my trucks Death Wobbel can kill me and my family so what ever investment I have to make to be safe is worth the cost- I'm very money conscience and if you do enough research you can usually find a good solution that will fit your individual need ( more info to make a qualified decision is never a bad thing. Thanks for all your good advice I have not pulled the trigger yet but I'm loaded and ready to fire unless someone has a better solution I'm not thinking of right now. Any help is always greatly appreciated. The info I found is on the RAREPARTS.com website out of Stockton CA. They show there manufacturing process and quality control on the website. Have a A+ rating from BBB and no complaints from there customers I can find. So might be a good choice. thanks agin for everyone's input on this matter my mind is not made up but I think I have a good viable solution for a good price at this point - But I can always be wrong. If anyone has any info on what I have said please speak up - I'm thinking this would be best course of action I have found so far.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

You still have the joint at the frame end though. That is the weak link. Third gen style is bushings on both ends. Buy it once, never worry about it again. The original style is pretty much assured to fail. If you only plan on keeping the truck for a couple years, yeah, buying the stock replacement makes more sense. If you are going to drive the truck till it dies, then look forward to replacing the stock-style bar on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas Steering problems.