2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing the entire rear axel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 08:26 PM
kohl_cytre@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the entire rear axel

Hi guys! I知 new here. I知 Kohl. I have been working on a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 here in NEPA. I received the truck from a friend because it had to much rust for him to deal with. To make a long story short I removed the entire bed, removed the gas tank, pulled all the wiring back to the front of the truck and started wire wheeling the frame. I wanted to completely remove the entire rear axel so I can descale everything and clean it down to bare metal so I can POR 15 the frame. I致e never pulled an entire axel completely off. Is there anything I need to know as far as how the rear axel is aligned to the body? I致e pulled shocks and coils in the past but never the whole axel. When I reinstall it after I rebuild it will it index back straight and true or do I need to pull measurements or do some kind of alignment marks? I知 just double checking before I pull this sucker off. Thank you in advance!! I知 sure I値l have plenty more questions as this project continues.

Last edited by kohl_cytre@yahoo.com; 06-13-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 06-13-2020, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

There are pins on the springs to align the rear axle properly. You can pull it with, or without the springs. If you remove the U-bolts though, do NOT re-use them. Replace them.

Welcome to DF!

Old 06-13-2020, 09:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome! I'd you didn't buy the POR15 already check out KBS as in my test is was better and cheaper. It's made by the guys who made POR15

Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 PM
kohl_cytre@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There are pins on the springs to align the rear axle properly. You can pull it with, or without the springs. If you remove the U-bolts though, do NOT re-use them. Replace them.

Welcome to DF!
thank you so much!! I was worried about it and couldn稚 find any info out there. I plan on putting new 2500 springs on if that痴 possible and doing a lift kit with all new bolts and blocks. It should be very interesting.

I知 really happy I found this site. Now I can ask all my silly questions and find the really smart people who know way way way more then me. Thank you again!!

Old 06-13-2020, 10:14 PM
kohl_cytre@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Welcome! I'd you didn't buy the POR15 already check out KBS as in my test is was better and cheaper. It's made by the guys who made POR15
Oh really? Where is your review so I can watch it?? I was thinking POR15 was the only option. I only want to paint everything under there once lol. Definitely looking forward to researching more!!

Old 06-14-2020, 12:00 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I used this product on my frame and have been very happy with it - https://www.zero-rust.com/

I also removed my rear axle when I coated my frame, but I swapped it from a drum brake Dana 60 to a disc brake Dana 60. I also installed new U-bolts, as the old U-bolts were worn out and rusted so bad, there was no hope in thinking about re-using them. One U-bolt was rusted through and broken, so I'm glad I went through the swap.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 06-14-2020 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spillage (06-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Removing the entire rear axel