2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmissions/what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 00t444e
The 46RE can be an excellent transmission If it's built right.
I had a bunch of built ($$$ expensive) 47/48re in my trucks over the year. They still failed, broken input shafts, burnt clutches, broken intermediate shafts, broken output shafts, even the billet chit breaks. My stock 68rfe has survived with no carnage to date and my 2010 has similar power levels and tows heavy often. Sorry I just hate dodge 46-48re transmissions, I've had really bad luck with them over the years. The 46re gear ratios sucks, first gear isnt low enough and overdrive is too big of jump from third. You can lock-up the converter in 3rd and make the jump not so big.

Best way to upgrade a 46re, is to use 47/48 internal pieces (clutch packs, planetary, overdrive clutches) out of a diesel trans. Add lots of line pressure and pray.

Honestly you can get a 46re to hold any big HP gaser pretty decently, a big HP diesel forget it, its a time bomb waiting to go off at the worst time.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I had a bunch of built ($$$ expensive) 47/48re in my trucks over the year. They still failed, broken input shafts, burnt clutches, broken intermediate shafts, broken output shafts, even the billet chit breaks. My stock 68rfe has survived with no carnage to date and my 2010 has similar power levels and tows heavy often. Sorry I just hate dodge 46-48re transmissions, I've had really bad luck with them over the years. The 46re gear ratios sucks, first gear isnt low enough and overdrive is too big of jump from third. You can lock-up the converter in 3rd and make the jump not so big.

Best way to upgrade a 46re, is to use 47/48 internal pieces (clutch packs, planetary, overdrive clutches) out of a diesel trans. Add lots of line pressure and pray.

Honestly you can get a 46re to hold any big HP gaser pretty decently, a big HP diesel forget it, its a time bomb waiting to go off at the worst time.
I would take a built 47/48RE over a 68RFE behind a high HP Cummins any day. The 68RFE costs twice as much to build and they don't hold up as well. If you had that many problems with your 47RE then you need to find a better builder, they are pretty much bulletproof if done correctly.

Quick Reply: Transmissions/what can I do?