2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Parking brake Pedal 96 3500

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 PM
hotrodln
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Parking brake Pedal 96 3500

OK so i removed the old parking brake pedal on this truck since it would just go to the floor and not have any tension on it, then it would just return. I assumed it was broken, so since i was restoring the truck i bought a new pedal from dodge. SO i took it out of the box and while looking at it i noticed a wire pin stuck thru it. so i naturally removed it before putting it in the truck. so the cable was good and loose since it was disconnected underneath so it was no trouble to install it to the pedal. now with it installed the pedal goes down with NO effort as i can see it isn't moving the cable at all. SO does anybody know if i have to pull this apart and do something with that pin i pulled out? or can i just pull on the cable from underneath the truck and this will be fine. Thanks Pat

Old 06-20-2020, 03:49 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

If I understood correctly, you have the cable disconnected from the actual brakes? If so, pedal doesn't have any resistance or return function as there are return springs at the end of a cable, inside of the drum brakes.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 AM
hotrodln

yes that is true- i didn't hook the cable up to the rest of the cables since i am rebuilding/replacing everything. I guess they put the pin in there to make it easier if you are only replacing the pedal and not the whole cable setup?? there were no instructions about this in the factory service manual ....and of course nothing ever comes in the box of parts.....so i guess i will just go ahead and hook everything up then put some tension on the cable? thanks for your advice. Pat

Old 06-20-2020, 11:17 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Good that you are replacing the parking brake cables at each of the rear wheels. Once you have all of the cables in-place, you will be able to readily see where the tension issue may be. When I replaced my Dana 60 rear differential from drum brakes to disc brakes, I installed new parking brake cables at each rear wheel, along with a new parking brake cable adjuster, since the old adjuster was rusted solid. I had to make adjustments to the wheel adjusters for the parking brakes on each side and the parking brake cable adjuster to gain the proper tension for the parking brake to work properly.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:13 PM
hotrodln

well i was able to rotate the cable pulling lever back to where it started and put a nail back in it without removing it from the truck. so when i went to hook up the front cable to the new back ones, the right rear one was apparently about 10 inches too long...so i bought the wrong one. live and learn. I got them from rock auto they have some that are 106 inches long and some that are 117 inches long. anyways i appreciate the advice. Pat

Quick Reply: New Parking brake Pedal 96 3500