2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0132/P0138, Intermittent Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Agree with your reasoning that the 02 heaters could be the problem. The heaters get power via the ASD on the dark green/white wire and the PCM activates them by grounding the brown/white or brown/violet wire (color depends on sensor location). You have 12 V on dg/wt, and when the PCM activates the heater there should be no voltage differential between sensor control and ground. So not sure what to think of the 2V you measured. Could be a PCM grounding issue or wiring.

The PCM doesn't really monitor the heater circuit, it just sees that the sensor signal isn't working some time after the heaters are turned on and concludes there's a problem with the heater. I'd disconnect the sensors and see if the heater circuits correctly switch a load like a light bulb.
To wire a test rig like this would you just use the switched wire from the pcm as the ground and not use the black/blue ground wire at all? Like I said, I suck at electrical work.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,375 Likes on 3,116 Posts

PCM expects to see voltage on that ground wire.....

Old 06-20-2020, 10:58 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
PCM expects to see voltage on that ground wire.....
Can you explain what you're thinking here as if I were a complete moron? haha.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The PCM will expect to see voltage on the wire, to verify the heater circuit is working, if it doesn't see the voltage, it will set a code for the heater circuit.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

The PCM will expect to see voltage on the wire, to verify the heater circuit is working, if it doesn't see the voltage, it will set a code for the heater circuit.
I meant what you're thinking more globally in terms of cause of failure

PCM expects voltage from the heater wire, or the heater control wire? Also, I'm just now realizing by looking at this wiring diagram that it appears the rear o2 sensor is not heated, because the only wires it has are power, ground, signal, and signal control.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If I remember correctly, heater circuit is powered via the ASD relay, which has to be working, or the truck wouldn't run. (It also provides power to the coil, and injectors.....) Since you are getting 12 volts IN, but only 2 volts out..... I suspect THAT is the problem. So, either a bad connection at the sensor connector, or, a failed sensor.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:08 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

If I remember correctly, heater circuit is powered via the ASD relay, which has to be working, or the truck wouldn't run. (It also provides power to the coil, and injectors.....) Since you are getting 12 volts IN, but only 2 volts out..... I suspect THAT is the problem. So, either a bad connection at the sensor connector, or, a failed sensor.
That's sort of the conclusion I came to, but it makes no sense. How is it possible that 2 NTK sensors, one brand new and one only a few years old, both have failed heater circuits...despite both having continuity when ohm tested...

Also, I'm not sure it's actually 2 volts OUT per say. The testing was done with the sensors not plugged into the harness (I don't have the skinny leads to test pin connectors while they're still pinned, I'd have to strip some off the cable to test). It's 2 volts hanging around in that 1 wire while unplugged from the sensor. Meaning the 2v is coming FROM the PCM on the Tan/White wire....right?

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 06-20-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, that changes things then. Use paperclip as a probe, works decent at least.

What to the pins in the connectors look like?

Old 06-20-2020, 11:14 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Ah, that changes things then. Use paperclip as a probe, works decent at least.

What to the pins in the connectors look like?

This is the style/shape of the upstream sensor. Round and grey. Pins look fine on the harness side.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:39 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
To wire a test rig like this would you just use the switched wire from the pcm as the ground and not use the black/blue ground wire at all? Like I said, I suck at electrical work.
Yes you need to use the switched grounds for the heaters to verify the PCM properly turns on the heaters. The black/blue is *sensor* ground, not for higher current heaters. BTW I just noticed an error in the wiring diagram on page 8W-30-17: Pin 24 on the PCM should read "signal" instead of "heater" and pin 16 is "heater control" not "signal control".

As I wrote before, and AFAIK the PCM has no means of checking the heater circuit directly. Nowadays electronic control modules can figure out if something is disconnected or a lamp is burned out but these PCMs are a 20+ year old design. P0135 code criteria is "The control module monitors how long it takes the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up."

Quick Reply: P0132/P0138, Intermittent Rough Idle