2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulsating vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Tire balance?? Worn shocks?

Old 07-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Tire balance?? Worn shocks?
inwas thinking tire balance also cause you mentioned it before. How to I diagnose tire balance or worn shock? Can I diagnose it myself?

Old 07-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
Ok so I replaced my wheel bearing which was loose and replaced my ujoint which had play in it. The vibration is noticeably lighter and only happens after speeds of like 50-55 what else could it be?

i would say it’s easily 50% better than it was though so I definitely addressed (some) of the issue. But there is still something else...

someone said maybe ball joints?
My money is on a different u joint. The truck has a ton of them. One on the end of each front axle shaft, two on the front driveshaft, and one on the rear driveshaft. Wouldn't be surprising to have 2 sloppy ones simultaneously.

Tire balance is something a tire shop has to do on a large and expensive specialized machine. You won't be able to test it with any shred of accuracy at home.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
My money is on a different u joint. The truck has a ton of them. One on the end of each front axle shaft, two on the front driveshaft, and one on the rear driveshaft. Wouldn't be surprising to have 2 sloppy ones simultaneously.

Tire balance is something a tire shop has to do on a large and expensive specialized machine. You won't be able to test it with any shred of accuracy at home.
ive replaced the joints on the rear driveshaft. My front driveshaft is currently removed and I just replaced the joint in the front passenger.

the vibrations is noticeably coming from the front passenger floorboard so it really leads my to believe is something under there...

Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

ive replaced the joints on the rear driveshaft. My front driveshaft is currently removed and I just replaced the joint in the front passenger.

the vibrations is noticeably coming from the front passenger floorboard so it really leads my to believe is something under there...
I guess just poke around with a pry bar and check for loose things (shock mounts, ball joints, etc) and if you don't find any, take it to the tire shop and ask them to balance the wheels (rotation and balance is a fairly cheap, routine procedure anyway). If the tires themselves are old, or worn unevenly, they could be the source of the vibration. This is checked for visually and using a "road force balance" machine.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:52 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

I guess just poke around with a pry bar and check for loose things (shock mounts, ball joints, etc) and if you don't find any, take it to the tire shop and ask them to balance the wheels (rotation and balance is a fairly cheap, routine procedure anyway). If the tires themselves are old, or worn unevenly, they could be the source of the vibration. This is checked for visually and using a "road force balance" machine.
so when looking at my tire I do have some uneven wear Toward the outside - center (pic included)

I do have a set of weights on the rim but no way knowing if some of them may have flung off I guess...

Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

so when looking at my tire I do have some uneven wear Toward the outside - center (pic included)

I do have a set of weights on the rim but no way knowing if some of them may have flung off I guess...

Man...those things look worn the hell out. Look at where the center tread blocks meld into what used to be rain grooves. That's what's known as 0/32nd tread depth. Not unlikely that the tires are causing some vibration, and even if they aren't you still need tires.

Tire shop will strongly recommend a new alignment (or at least an alignment check) with the tires. They will be able to see if your've still got an issue that will cause uneven wear moving forward.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 07-01-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Man...those things look worn the hell out. Look at where the center tread blocks meld into what used to be rain grooves. That's what's known as 0/32nd tread depth. Not unlikely that the tires are causing some vibration, and even if they aren't you still need tires.
lol yea. It’s only like this on that tire the others are fine I have a spare, I’ll swap it out and see if that helps.ive got a half mike dirt driveway and 5 mile dirt road to my farm we’re tough on tires out here. But again since it’s only on this tire it leads me to believe it’s (something else) as the major issue. I’ll swap the tire after lunch (which I’m eating now) and report back thanks for the help!

also, when you say poke around with the pry bar for loses stuff any suggestions on how or in which way? Should I jack the tire off the ground first? Or while still on the ground? I can do this while I’m swapping the tire...

Old 07-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

lol yea. It’s only like this on that tire the others are fine I have a spare, I’ll swap it out and see if that helps.ive got a half mike dirt driveway and 5 mile dirt road to my farm we’re tough on tires out here. But again since it’s only on this tire it leads me to believe it’s (something else) as the major issue. I’ll swap the tire after lunch (which I’m eating now) and report back thanks for the help!

also, when you say poke around with the pry bar for loses stuff any suggestions on how or in which way? Should I jack the tire off the ground first? Or while still on the ground? I can do this while I’m swapping the tire...
The suspension doesn't need to be loaded, doing it jacked up is fine. Just take a pry bar and try to pry apart anything with a joint attachment (ball joints, tie rods, swap bar links, axle locating arms, shock mounts, etc). There should be NO movement in these parts. You need not be too wild with the force trying to pry, but don't baby them either. Just be careful of the rubber boots.

Anything that moves, replace it.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

The suspension doesn't need to be loaded. Just take a pry bar and try to pry apart anything with a joint attachment (ball joints, tie rods, swap bar links, axle locating arms, shock mounts, etc). There should be NO movement in these parts. You need not be too wild with the force trying to pry, but don't baby them either. Just be careful of the rubber boots.

Anything that moves, replace it.
ok I’ll get right on it thanks again!

Quick Reply: Pulsating vibration