2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulsating vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:25 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
VERY large piles of cash.

ok so I head back from the stealership they said $3,570 because “muh labor intensive and wheel bearings are a really big deal that require specialized tools and blah blah freakin blah”

LoL I’m pretty sure my truck is barely even worth 3 grand if that hahahahahhahaha

looks like I saved myself a pretty penny.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Packwood Digital,

I just changed my entire front end. 1996 1500 2x4 360 magnum. Cost me $825 from rock auto....when I say everything, I mean everything. including springs, shocks, I/O TR, U/L ball joints, Control arm bushings, pitman arm"steering" and idler arm, stabilizer bushings sway bar bushings. Did it all with A/C delco parts. My advice to you would be to purchase replacement control arms with BJ and Bushings already in it. I went the other route and pressed everything out an back in and will not do that again......if you have any questions, please reach out.......Also did shocks front and back.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by racerxv6
Packwood Digital,

I just changed my entire front end. 1996 1500 2x4 360 magnum. Cost me $825 from rock auto....when I say everything, I mean everything. including springs, shocks, I/O TR, U/L ball joints, Control arm bushings, pitman arm"steering" and idler arm, stabilizer bushings sway bar bushings. Did it all with A/C delco parts. My advice to you would be to purchase replacement control arms with BJ and Bushings already in it. I went the other route and pressed everything out an back in and will not do that again......if you have any questions, please reach out.......Also did shocks front and back.
yea I just finished pushing the ball joints out upper and lower today and it was a magnificent pain in the a** the top one wasn’t sooo bad but the bottom
one was rediculous I have a ball joint removal and install tool (c-clamp style) and I hit it with my 1000ft/lb impact and then had to put a 4ft breaker bar on it to turn it even further before it finally popped out. It had so much force it actually sparked when it popped out. Your totally right I should have just bought a control arms it would have been much easier. Oh well I have the lower in and tomorrow just gotta pop the upper in and (hopefully, with fingers crossed) be done with it. I’ve never suv THIS much into any car/truck I’ve owned but this forum (and the lovely invention of Youtube) have given me a huge boost of confidence in doing these things myself and something that I once dreaded and was scared of doing myself is now actually kind of fun it’s like a puzzle.

I commend you for doing your entire front end how long did it take you? $850 is A LOT cheaper than getting it done At a shop I know this much! Did you do it just because or did you have some catastrophic failure that lead to it?

Old 07-04-2020, 09:17 AM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I commend you for doing your entire front end how long did it take you? $850 is A LOT cheaper than getting it done At a shop I know this much! Did you do it just because or did you have some catastrophic failure that lead to it?[/QUOTE]

I spent about 2 weeks, took my time. No, not just because. Everything was worn like what you showed in your video. No boots totally deteriorated slap everywhere......she is as tight as a tic now....I'll take a pic and upload it in a bit.....this is my boat truck and work truck and it made more noise and steering was atrocious, I was scared driving it...Not anymore.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:00 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
yea I just finished pushing the ball joints out upper and lower today and it was a magnificent pain in the a** the top one wasn’t sooo bad but the bottom
one was rediculous I have a ball joint removal and install tool (c-clamp style) and I hit it with my 1000ft/lb impact and then had to put a 4ft breaker bar on it to turn it even further before it finally popped out. It had so much force it actually sparked when it popped out. Your totally right I should have just bought a control arms it would have been much easier. Oh well I have the lower in and tomorrow just gotta pop the upper in and (hopefully, with fingers crossed) be done with it. I’ve never suv THIS much into any car/truck I’ve owned but this forum (and the lovely invention of Youtube) have given me a huge boost of confidence in doing these things myself and something that I once dreaded and was scared of doing myself is now actually kind of fun it’s like a puzzle.

I commend you for doing your entire front end how long did it take you? $850 is A LOT cheaper than getting it done At a shop I know this much! Did you do it just because or did you have some catastrophic failure that lead to it?
You can't just buy the control arms. On a 4x4 the ball joints install into the axle housing.

Next time, run the bolt on the ball joint tool down with the impact, then take a big ****ing hammer (like this one https://harborfreight.com/4-lb-hardw...mer-69240.html) and start whacking the knuckle. The shock helps break them loose.

Good to hear you're gaining confidence. Just takes experience and a little help.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 07-04-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
ok so I head back from the stealership they said $3,570 because “muh labor intensive and wheel bearings are a really big deal that require specialized tools and blah blah freakin blah”

LoL I’m pretty sure my truck is barely even worth 3 grand if that hahahahahhahaha

looks like I saved myself a pretty penny.
Yeah I called a shop about rebuilding my transmission about 5 years ago and got quoted 7 grand. And that wasn't for a reman either, that was just a basic rebuild. This also wasn't a dealer, this was just a ****ty Midas. Dealer would have been even more.

I bought a reman from ETE complete with torque converter, added a shift kit, and put it in myself. Total cost - $1300.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
You can't just buy the control arms. On a 4x4 the ball joints install into the axle housing.

Next time, run the bolt on the ball joint tool down with the impact, then take a big ****ing hammer (like this one https://harborfreight.com/4-lb-hardw...mer-69240.html) and start whacking the knuckle. The shock helps break them loose.

Good to hear you're gaining confidence. Just takes experience and a little help.
yea I payed awake last night after writing that reply and thinking and realized what you just said it’s connected to the housing. I didn’t think about just smacking it. I’ve got a 3lb hammer laying right there too. Go figure.

thanks it’s really gratifying getting it done!

Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
Yeah I called a shop about rebuilding my transmission about 5 years ago and got quoted 7 grand. And that wasn't for a reman either, that was just a basic rebuild. This also wasn't a dealer, this was just a ****ty Midas. Dealer would have been even more.

I bought a reman from ETE complete with torque converter, added a shift kit, and put it in myself. Total cost - $1300.
very nice! 7 grand I might as well put a down payment in a new truck hahaha

Old 07-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Ok SO update time!

all seems well now no more annoying vibrations like crazy at the floor board I did have one issue when putting it all back together though...

the lower Allen/hex bolt that holds my caliper in place won’t fit snug. The threaded hole in the housing is kind of stripped/worn the threads catch but the bolt will wiggle loose...

I used a tap set and retreaded it which made it ever so slightly bigger but it does fit “better” but it’s still not snug like the top one.... I know the recommended option would be to replace the knuckle I guess but that just seems like a lot of work and more money. Has anyone had this happen before? I imagine I could just find a (slightly) larger diameter bolt of the same length and use that instead?

ideas?

Old 07-04-2020, 12:54 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

I was looking at rock auto and it looks like they have bolts exactly for my issue. Anyone used one before?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...uide+pin,10281

Quick Reply: Pulsating vibration