2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:35 PM
gear jammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:crack dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

I just filed a compliant about my dash being cracked I have a 1995 Ram1500

Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: gear jammer
I just filed a compliant about my dash being cracked I have a 1995 Ram1500
Like I mentioned before, a safety recall wouldn't include Rams that weren't equipped with dual air bags as there is there is no airbag in the dash to be intefered with.

Personally, I still think it's not something that should be recalled. If you want to recall something because of safety issues, recall the track bars! Those pose a REAL safety concern!

Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with The Burning Rom, real safety issues should be dealt with first, like steering. Unless people die from the dash cracks, or it somehow affects the environment, the NHTSA is not gonna do a thing about it, I think whoever called the NHTSA got some serious smoke blown up there ***. Im still trying to figure out how the crack can rip/affect airbag deployment, bag doesn't deploy in that direction and with the design does not even touch the dash while deploying, its forward and up.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 AM
ramsportguy
Professional

Question is how long do you believe it will take before they decide to go and recall the 94-01 ram trucks?It could be years but if you give them a reason to go ahead and test these dashes.I saw the big crack mine had and i went ahead and purchased a brand new dash from dodge and right now its sitting in storage until i hear any updates i will put the new 1 in and repair the old 1 and put it away.

thanks
pat

Old 12-31-2005, 05:30 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ramsportguy

Question is how long do you believe it will take before they decide to go and recall the 94-01 ram trucks?It could be years but if you give them a reason to go ahead and test these dashes.I saw the big crack mine had and i went ahead and purchased a brand new dash from dodge and right now its sitting in storage until i hear any updates i will put the new 1 in and repair the old 1 and put it away.

thanks
pat
I'd go ahead and put it in, because the recall will never happen

Old 12-31-2005, 11:01 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if Dateline--20/20---48 hr. Mystery got involved, you may see an investigation started in maybe 10 yrs or so, I wouldn't hold out for it. I would spend your time with the NHTSA complaining about known issues with your vehicles, tie-rods, trackbars, steering boxes, and even tranny's..

Old 01-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last I checked, my Dodge Ram 1500 was assembled in Mexico, plus Toyota and Nissan build cars in the United States using American labor. Much of that money is reinvested in the US. Get your facts straight with the "Buy American" BS.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:55 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge
Last I checked, my Dodge Ram 1500 was assembled in Mexico
The 2nd Generation Dodge Ram was built in 3 different plants...

Warren (Michigan) Truck Assembly Plant
St. Louis (Missouri) North Assembly Plant
Lago Alberto (Mexico) Assembly Plant

Lago Alberto was closed down at the end of the 2nd gen's run. A plant was opened in Saltillo for 3rd gen production. The plants in Warren and St. Louis were switched over to 3rd gen production.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 PM
jrmcx
Rookie

Just a question. Out of all the people with cracked dashes, how many have used some kind of protectant / restorer on it when cleaning up your interior. Some of the stuff has petroleum base (or used to in years past). The plastic in the dash (also petroleum based) reacts to the stuff and breaks down. This may contribute at least to cracking. I've read several posts on the subject. I used a popular product on my dash and steering wheel center and door panels a couple times. So far my bought new 2001 dash is intact, but the door panels and steering wheel center turned black from grey.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 PM
flbullrider
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

My 2001 1/2ton's dash cracked right in the center from the middle defroster vent forward about a year after I got it. My buddie's 1 ton dash cracked in two places, the cracks met and the plastic fell through (so now he's got a whole). Think just about every 99-01 I ever rode in had a cracked dash.

The dash design is REALLY cheap. I found this out firsthand when I installed my air horn and strobe light switches last year - I had to tear apart the dash to do the wiring (the dash was cracked before this). The dash itself is very thin, cheap plastic - and no strain relief underneath so if ya press down on it yer gonna crack it. A feeble attempt at reducing squeaks and rattles was made by them putting these little velvet tapes all over the place.

Take yer dash apart sometime - it's pretty easy about 8 screws total and you'll laugh at how cheap it is.

All the dash parts are labeled "TRW Automotive - Hecho En Mexico". They're also stamped "HDPE". There's yer problem - look at a milk jug - same kinda plastic. Even on the 3/4 and 1 ton models, which were assembled in the US (rather than Mexico where the 1/2 tons were), the dash parts are still the same.

Mike Bishop
www.flbullrider.com

Quick Reply: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.