2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
bigbill7501
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

I have had my 2001 dodge ram since new my dash was perfect until 7 months ago now it is cracked from the windshield to the airbag and what a way to ruin the inside everything else is nice then you see those cracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 AM
XR7 Dave

Anyone have any pictures of what this is like? I've had my 96 since new and never did anything but drive it for 200K miles and my dash looks perfect. What should I look for?

Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 AM
scottbrew
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:crack dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4 and I litterally do not have a dash anymore, it's has just crumbled to pieces. I would not complain abot a few cracks but this is clearly a defect.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The dash on my 01 2500 CTD cracked right at the 3 year mark. One big crack the starts in the middle at the defrost vent and makes a big U shape going toward the steering wheel. If you paid $30k for anything else and it cracked, you'd expect the manufactorer to make it right.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
RedMagnum

If you're dash is cracked like mine, try coverlaymfg.com. For about $125 they provided a custom molded dashboard overlay and decent instructions. Kit also included some high adhesive silcone. I ordered a black overlay although my interior is gray, its still looks great! No more nasty cracks!

Old 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM
RedMagnum

Thanks for the tip on coverlay! My new dash only cost me $125 and its so much easier to install than a real dash! My interior is gray but I ordered black as I was afraid the color would not match. Looks great!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 AM
namrehs300

My coverlay has been in for a few weeks now and it looks great. But even better is that the squeaking has stopped. Nice product.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:56 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigbill7501

I have had my 2001 dodge ram since new my dash was perfect until 7 months ago now it is cracked from the windshield to the airbag and what a way to ruin the inside everything else is nice then you see those cracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here mine was fine for a while but last year started cracking now everytime I get in it there seems like there is more cracks.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
ScoundrelD

I am new to this forum, but imagine my surprise when i saw this post. I have a 2001 Ram 1500 quad with the 5.9 liter Magnum. My dash cracked 2 years after i bought it as well. When I took it to the dealer, they told me they had never seen this problem before, and that it wasn't covered under any type of warrenty. After arguing for 2 days with them, they agreed to pay for HALF of the replacement cost. So it was still a few hundred bucks out of my pocket, and it seems it was really all their fauld after all. I'm signing up. It actually may be possible to look into a class action lawsuit if there are are enough complaintents. What do you think?

Dave

Old 06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
thegutter23

every time i contacted dodge they told me the same thing. if you dont like it, get it fixed. my dash has been cracked for two years now. there are three softball size holes all through it. they dont care. to be so proud of there trucks, you think they would at least care!!!!!

Quick Reply: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.