2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 AM
dillonjm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:crack dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

My 01 is cracking bad now too. I don't know what the deal is, I can hear it cracking and poping open more with any decent bump I hit. I tried to super glue the ends of the cracks.. it helped for about a week, then they just continued on. At least no pieces have fallen through yet...

Old 12-06-2006, 05:26 PM
MrKevin
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

Mine is cracked in a few places, should I go to the dealer first or just file a complaint?

I armoral the dashboard 2x a year and it is kept in a garage when I'm not at work. It sits outside during work time. I have an 01 and the first crack happend last summer. Nothing is kept or stored on my dashboard. It is always clean of debris (not dust). In my mind it should not have cracked.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
hemieater 360

from what I understand there is nothing dodge will do about the dash , they will sell you a new one and charge out the butt to install it for you........took it to the dealership here in town and showed the sales rep and he was imbarrassed,, said he had never seen one that bad..

Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
nateblong
Professional

I just filed my complaint. My carpeted dash looks so tacky u know

Old 12-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Scottr1110
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:crack dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

mabe its where it was made because my 1996 is perfect not one crack all i have done is keep it amoralled and its been fine

Old 12-10-2006, 07:15 PM
dunbar

I too have a cracked dash.I have 2001 1 owner garaged kept and always use a sunscreen but this year in november it
just cracked.From the middle of the windshield over by the passenger airbag.I did not know such a broad problem
existed.I have 196000 miles on it,it lookes and runs new execpt for the dash.I too,believe it to be a hazard.What
would happen in a wreck and the air bag deploy's.I have sent a complaint to Dodge and the recall center..

Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Gone Campin
Rookie

ORIGINAL: flbullrider

My 2001 1/2ton's dash cracked right in the center from the middle defroster vent forward about a year after I got it. My buddie's 1 ton dash cracked in two places, the cracks met and the plastic fell through (so now he's got a whole). Think just about every 99-01 I ever rode in had a cracked dash.

The dash design is REALLY cheap. I found this out firsthand when I installed my air horn and strobe light switches last year - I had to tear apart the dash to do the wiring (the dash was cracked before this). The dash itself is very thin, cheap plastic - and no strain relief underneath so if ya press down on it yer gonna crack it. A feeble attempt at reducing squeaks and rattles was made by them putting these little velvet tapes all over the place.

Take yer dash apart sometime - it's pretty easy about 8 screws total and you'll laugh at how cheap it is.

All the dash parts are labeled "TRW Automotive - Hecho En Mexico". They're also stamped "HDPE". There's yer problem - look at a milk jug - same kinda plastic. Even on the 3/4 and 1 ton models, which were assembled in the US (rather than Mexico where the 1/2 tons were), the dash parts are still the same.

Mike Bishop
www.flbullrider.com
same kinda crack here on 96. quality prob, not a safety issue, methinks.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:27 AM
hicktown
Professional

bump

Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

Wow, havent seen this thread in ages. Hopefully you guys can get this dealt with.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

Just noticed about 2 weeks ago that the dash on my 99 has started to crack by the passenger defroster vent. I have seen how much it costs to replace the cover so I bought a dash cover to buy me some time until I have to replace it. I have owned Chrysler vehicles all my life and this is the first that the dash has cracked on.

Quick Reply: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.