2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
engineer63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:crack dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

I also have a 2000 Dodge Ram truck with a dash that is cracked in about 500 pieces. It started out with one small crack above the passenger side air bag and within 3 months spread all over the whole dash. The whole dash looks like it could fall through any day now. I ran across this forum looking for a dash replacement and thought I would join in with my displeasement with Dodge on their poor quality. I also have a 1999 Chevy Silverado that has more miles on it and the dash still looks brand new. I keep the Dodge in the garage and the Chevy stays outside. The Dodge only has 51,000 miles on it and the Chevy has 67,000 on it. I have only used Armor All Protectant on them a couple of times over the years, but have been consistent with both trucks.

I work as an engineer in a large furniture manufacturing company and I realize that sometimes companies try to cut costs and save money to the bottom line by using cheaper raw materials, however the Chrysler-Daimler Corporation should: 1.) admit they used a sub-standard raw material, 2.) switch dash suppliers immediately, & 3.) offer replacement dashes and installation costs on anyone reporting a cracked dash.

This would be the moral and ethical thing to do, but as we all know that's not how the corporate world works. I suppose I will just go to my local Dodge dealership and order a new dash and try to put it in myself. If anyone has done this before, any hints or advise??

I plan on trading my Dodge in on a 2005 GMC Yukon XL as soon as I get the new dash in.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
engineer63

Ignore this post. I accidentally hit submit twice.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:15 AM
dsaville
Default RE: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. The dash started cracking in 2003. Just last month in May a new 7" and growing crack appeared directly over the airbag enclosure. The dash is falling apart. Any idea what it will cost to replace it?

Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 AM
J3cubfan

Not too sure about that. My 2000 Quad Cab was made Salitto. I still have the window sticker to prove it.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 AM
ramsportguy
Professional

Dash replacement is 364.00 from the dealership and someone said here they were quoted 500.00 to replace the dash cover.I had a crack in my 01 and recently had the entire a/c system replaced.I purchased the dash cover cause waiting for them to do anything bout them is like watching wallpaper glue dry so i bought the cover and since my dash was already out they charged me 1 hours labor to put the new cover on..I reccomend if you replace it to buy a dash board cover.I spent way to much money to go thru this again...

thanks
pat

Old 07-10-2006, 03:54 AM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my bezel is cracked, but the dash is in mint condition. I try to Armor-All it once a month, or so, depending on when I do it, when I have time to, or whatso... I rarely drive it because I have a company work truck. but yeah, not worth the time to get it replaced if its not broken.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
alcedo
Rookie

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

ORIGINAL: alcedo
I bet if a member of your family was sitting in the passenger seat and you were involved in an accident where the passenger air bag did not deploy due to a cracked and ragged dash resulting in their death, you would have a different outlook on this.
How many deaths have been attributed to this problem so far? I ask, because I have not heard of a single one so far.

A crack in the dash will not keep the air bag module from going off. It doesn't care if the dash doesn't look pretty...it only cares about the state of the sensors in the front of the truck. And it bag deploys out the front of the dash...not the top.

Furthermore, the 94-97 Rams didn't have passenger side air-bags...so that already rules out half of the 2nd Gen Rams produced when looking at a problem like this. It severely cuts down on the "affecting all Rams" statement that a lot of people make....if safety is going to be the huge selling point for a fix.

And yes, it is strange that some dashes crack and some don't. And why some dashes crack more than others. I can't explain it...but I'm not an engineer either.

EDIT: I forgot to add...in an accident, a seatbelt will be the safety device that will save a life....not an air bag.

I would prefer it NOT to be one of my grand children, or anyone elses. I found another crack in mine Saturday....what a POS.
This truck is like being married to a 23 year old hottie........sexy, hot, nice to look at, gets your blood moving, all the other guys stare at her...........but, jesus........HIGH maintenance !! [:@][:@]

Old 07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Apryl

I just found this site today courtesy of my hubby having some downtime in Iraq. Went and filled out the form as well. This is ridiculous! I was even told by the service guy at our parts place that it's an inferior dashboard but Dodge still won't replace it. He said this was similar to when I complained about the bolt on the bottom of the steering going bad within the first week I had the truck. You could turn the steering well 360 left and 360 right and the darned thing would go straight! I asked about the dashboard sometime last year when the crack went from the windshield to the airbag (passenger) and he said he hadn't seen anything from Dodge as of yet. This ticks me off!

Thanks for posting the link...now to check out the ball joints section of this forum....ARGH!!!!

Apryl
4-wheeling and Geocaching go hand in hand.....

Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 PM
1500sport
Professional

I am yet another victim of the Dodge POS dash problems. I have an 01 ext. cab and believe it was assembled in the foreign f*$@ing land. The truck sits in the garage 90% of its life due to gas prices. I left it outside 2 days and now have a crack starting at the defrost vent. I put some superglue on it to see if it will hold. Sounds silly but if it keeps the crack from spreading it will be worth it. I thought there was a law about selling crack, maybe the head dumbasses at Dodge should be jailed for this. They should have had things figured out by '01.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:36 PM
2000offroad

Another memeber of the POS Dodge Dash Club! I can't believe that Dodge has gotten away with such crappy quality. I have a 2000 that I bought new off the lot and it has been in the garage 90% of the time and about a year ago I noticed that I have had a crake traveling across my dash. Well I finally got tired of the cracking and when the dash fell inI decided to look at dash replacement and found this thread! I love my truch but the dash is just a piece of crap!

Quick Reply: ANNOUNCEMENT:cracked dashes and the nhtsa. please sign up.