2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Magnum upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:18 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Does yours need them? Did you see the motor run? Do you know oil pressure is good? If so, just my opinion, but You would probably be ok to reuse bearings. Your already reusing the rod and main bearings....

On the other hand, I replaced my own with a kit like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-E....c100011.m1850

But if you have a machine shop close by, usually its a low fee they charge to replace bearings. If I had it to do again, I would have let the machine shop install. Mine went in fine, but its easy to mess up......

Its a gamble reusing, but where do you draw the line? Short of a complete rebuild.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Does yours need them? Did you see the motor run? Do you know oil pressure is good? If so, just my opinion, but You would probably be ok to reuse bearings. Your already reusing the rod and main bearings....

On the other hand, I replaced my own with a kit like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-E....c100011.m1850

But if you have a machine shop close by, usually its a low fee they charge to replace bearings. If I had it to do again, I would have let the machine shop install. Mine went in fine, but its easy to mess up......

Its a gamble reusing, but where do you draw the line? Short of a complete rebuild.

I wouldn't reuse old bearings. They are fairly cheap compared to the aggravation of losing oil pressure on a fresh engine. It's like swapping the front seat on an automatic transmission when you swap engines. Severala hours of aggravation for a $20-30 part when it leaks later.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I was running when the pulled it out is what the junkyard told me, I haven't even hooked a starter up and done a compression test yet.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:32 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

[[b]QUOTE=ol' grouch;3489152]I wouldn't reuse old bearings. They are fairly cheap compared to the aggravation of losing oil pressure on a fresh engine. It's like swapping the front seat on an automatic transmission when you swap engines. Severala hours of aggravation for a $20-30 part when it leaks later.[/QUOTE]

Umn...... No, its not. Do you even bother to read the post, or do you just try to contradict everything I write? Its not a fresh engine.
Seal swap = cam bearings swap

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 08-07-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I was running when the pulled it out is what the junkyard told me, I haven't even hooked a starter up and done a compression test yet.

In a nutshell, its risk vs cost-time.

With a engine, especially that you have not seen run, ie: is it smooth, no smoke, and holds good oil pressure, its a gamble.
If I suspected the cam bearings are worn, I would be even more suspect of the rod bearings, not to mention the mains......
At what point, do you say, Ill chance the motor and try it, or do a rebuild? What parts are worth replacing while its out? These are questions you have to weight out yourself.

Through out the years, there have been a lot of cams swapped, with the engine left in the truck.... And those are done, reusing the cam bearings.

Im not saying its a bad idea to swap bearings, but if you are not sure how to do it, or seen it done, assuming you do swap the cam bearings, I would strongly suggest letting a machine shop swap them. Its easy not to get the oil hole aligned, its easy to mushroom the bearing.(and this will make it too tight) And you need a cam bearing tool to remove and install them.
Again, for a one time deal, let a shop swap them. JMO

Old 08-07-2020, 10:20 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

In a nutshell, its risk vs cost-time.

With a engine, especially that you have not seen run, ie: is it smooth, no smoke, and holds good oil pressure, its a gamble.
If I suspected the cam bearings are worn, I would be even more suspect of the rod bearings, not to mention the mains......
At what point, do you say, Ill chance the motor and try it, or do a rebuild? What parts are worth replacing while its out? These are questions you have to weight out yourself.

Through out the years, there have been a lot of cams swapped, with the engine left in the truck.... And those are done, reusing the cam bearings.

Im not saying its a bad idea to swap bearings, but if you are not sure how to do it, or seen it done, assuming you do swap the cam bearings, I would strongly suggest letting a machine shop swap them. Its easy not to get the oil hole aligned, its easy to mushroom the bearing.(and this will make it too tight) And you need a cam bearing tool to remove and install them.
Again, for a one time deal, let a shop swap them. JMO
If the engine still has good compression it isn't going to a machine shop, I'll get the tool and do the cam bearings myself if I have to. I don't want to go through the hassle and expense of taking it to a machine shop . I rebuild and regear axles so I think I can probably figure out how to swap cam bearings.

Last edited by 00t444e; 08-07-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:00 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 00t444e
If the engine still has good compression it isn't going to a machine shop, I'll get the tool and do the cam bearings myself if I have to. I don't want to go through the hassle and expense of taking it to a machine shop . I rebuild and regear axles so I think I can probably figure out how to swap cam bearings.
If you have the tool it's easy. Honestly. The only thing to watch out for is you don't push the plug out (in the back of the block right behind the cam). I just was stubborn and want waiting for the tool so I made one

Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
If you have the tool it's easy. Honestly. The only thing to watch out for is you don't push the plug out (in the back of the block right behind the cam). I just was stubborn and want waiting for the tool so I made one

How are you going to change the rear bearing without taking the plug out?

Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

How are you going to change the rear bearing without taking the plug out?
There is enough room to get the tool in there just have to watch.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:35 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
There is enough room to get the tool in there just have to watch.

You drive the old bearing out the back of the block....... How are you doing this without removing the plug?

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum upgrades?