2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Poor performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so nothing leaking from the cad or differential yet after filling it. Drove it for a little bit and I can get it up to 2K now and it feels “a little” better but the pedal is still hard to push.

when it’s in park or even neutral it’s noticeably easier to push. (Not as easy as it was a few days ago)nbut as soon as I put it in drive and try to go it’s really hard again... if something was binding my cable I wouldn’t change between park and drive would it?

and again I can still hear the hiss but ONLY when moving if it’s in park and I rev it there is no hiss at all.

gonna have my wife drive it while I walk next to the truck and see if I can find this hiss. Wherever the hiss is has to be the culprit, it’s just gotta be!

Old 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Unless something from the shift linkage is tangling with the throttle cable, that shouldn't be an issue.

Throttle cable should go from its mount at the throttle body, around a plastic 'guide' then clip on to the throttle lever. If it misses the little guide, (also on the throttle lever) it can be REALLY hard to press.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unless something from the shift linkage is tangling with the throttle cable, that shouldn't be an issue.

Throttle cable should go from its mount at the throttle body, around a plastic 'guide' then clip on to the throttle lever. If it misses the little guide, (also on the throttle lever) it can be REALLY hard to press.

ok I’ll check that in a minute when in try to find this hiss and report back.

i know you said it’s a bad idea but I’m about to hang out the door while...my wife drives. Slowly

Last edited by Packwood Digital; 08-18-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhmmmm.... Trusting, aren't you.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhmmmm.... Trusting, aren't you.
LoL! Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Old 08-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Ok so get this. My wife of all people went to start driving and said “ why is the gas pedal all the way to the floor?” I said huh?

lo and behold the gas pedal was in the floor (pics attached)

looked up and when I pull the pedal outward to match the brake pedal there a CRAZY amount of slack in the cable...

but when I go to the throttle under the hood I can only pull in about a half inch of slack...

1. How much slack should there be when the gas pedal is resting on its own
2. Did the stopper by my pedal just get loose and slide or something?
3.why can I only pull out a half inch of slack under the hood when there is visibly at least a few inches of slack by my pedal??

Old 08-18-2020, 03:31 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

OKAY UPDATE TIME!

went and looked at my throttle body again after doing the “zip tie mod” which picked up the slack in the pedal. Had my nephew push the peddle to WOT and the butterfly was only open maybe half an inch...

then realized the throttle cable has frayed and slipped out of the channel and was reversed (pics included) I don’t know why I didn’t notice it before but as soon as I fixed it the gas pedal moved smooth like butter and at WOT the butterfly was wide open.

the hard pedal problem is now fixed and I can actually drive like normal again and shifts at normal rpm now...

...BUT the hiss remains and I can’t really get over 50 mph as if I have an exhaust blockage.

time to remove upstream the o2 sensor And see if that makes a difference

doo dee doo dee doo

pulled the o2 sensor and what happens? I chirp tires pulling out of my driveway... get 50ft down the road I hear a pink and all of a sudden the hiss and loss of power...

I pull over, take a rubber mallet and smack the catalytic converter and is sounds like it’s full of marbles...

start it up and I chirp tires again, then ting loss of power AGAIN.

which y’all know what that means... the cat is shot.

i just had this put in 2 weeks ago, 2 EFFING WEEKS AGO!

literally the ONLY thing I haven’t done myself in this truck since I got it. Time to yank it out, inspect it, and call the shop and scream my head off.

I’ve had eBay junk last longer than this thing... I’ll update as soon as my pipes are cold enough to touch.

Last edited by Packwood Digital; 08-18-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:36 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Haha, that was a fun read!

Old 08-18-2020, 04:34 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

There it is boys and girls!

proof that just because you just replaced something doesn’t mean it’s not the culprit!

she’s loud but she hauls *** now!

now, there’s a chance it’s still my fault... could be anything from injectors sending too much fuel to spark plugs being awry and causing excessive heat to exit the engine and literally just melting my cat to hell...

luckily I got a new pack of plugs gonna swap them later today while I get a new cat and out it on myself this time. Then check the injectors

Old 08-18-2020, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you don't have inspections/emissions testing where you live, hollow out the cat, and put it back on, call it a day. (these engines typically pass emissions even without the cat anyway...) The PCM may or may not whine about it. My 96 never did......

I suspected that was the issue with the throttle cable. Seen that before.... The cables DO stretch over time though..... the zip tie trick works just fine for it. Since yours is frayed like that though, I would be tempted to replace it.

Quick Reply: Poor performance