2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sport Lights—Brite Box??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Lights—Brite Box??

Hey guys, I want to do the sport headlight conversion on my ‘01. I’ve read up on it some and found a set of housings that come with an adapter harness, from the original bulb pigtail and splits to 2 bulbs for each side. But I also read the post on genos garage and they recommend using their $95 Brite Box setup. It goes in line with one of the headlights and allows both filaments to run at the same time. What would you guys recommend? I also need to find some decent bulbs.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

I used sylvania silver starts, and am pretty happy with them.

Of course Geno's wants you to buy their part..... that makes them money. I think there is a wiring diagram around here somewhere of how to accomplish the same thing with a relay and a diode.....

Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I used sylvania silver starts, and am pretty happy with them
I heard that there are 2 kinda of that bulb, one made by Osram. Do you know what kind you’ve got?

Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No clue.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:39 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett45
Hey guys, I want to do the sport headlight conversion on my ‘01. I’ve read up on it some and found a set of housings that come with an adapter harness, from the original bulb pigtail and splits to 2 bulbs for each side. But I also read the post on genos garage and they recommend using their $95 Brite Box setup. It goes in line with one of the headlights and allows both filaments to run at the same time. What would you guys recommend? I also need to find some decent bulbs.
I've got the sport headlights mounted in my '96 Ram 2500. I purchased a wiring harness from the folks noted below that includes the relays and connects to direct battery power so that the headlight switch won't be overloaded. I plan to install the new harness within the next month. https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

Old 08-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

I have the silver star ultra's but i believe they have one better witch is the "ZXE" I want to get true HID's and retrofit them in the bulb housing. It's real annoying when the guy three cars back lights are brighter than yours.
https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/...ghts/index.jsp
Another trick is to use the "off road" bulbs witch are more than 55 watts.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moparite
I have the silver star ultra's but i believe they have one better witch is the "ZXE" I want to get true HID's and retrofit them in the bulb housing. It's real annoying when the guy three cars back lights are brighter than yours.
https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/...ghts/index.jsp
Another trick is to use the "off road" bulbs witch are more than 55 watts.
According to theory, using anything more than 55 watts is illegal here in michigan.... but, I don't recall EVER hearing of someone getting pulled over for their lights being too bright. (but, for not dimming their lights when there is oncoming traffic? Yep. Seen that one.)

HID bulbs want specifically designed housings.... otherwise, you blind the oncoming traffic, even with just your low beams.

A put the sylvania bulbs in my truck, when I replaced the headlight housings. (right after I bought it....) and also installed the heavy duty harness from LMC truck. Made a HUGE difference on how well the lights worked. With the added bonus of not having to worry about burning up my headlight switch.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

HID bulbs want specifically designed housings.... otherwise, you blind the oncoming traffic, even with just your low beams.
Retrofit!
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...led-projectors

Quick Reply: Sport Lights—Brite Box??