2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 very low KM Cummings mods advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 08:22 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Take a look at the parts manual (from the FAQ section)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3...5ZTVjZjEw/view
See if the steering parts locations are the same (for parts beyond the steering box)... if they are, standard LHD parts should be fine.

How is the steering column (on the right) connected to the steering box (on the left)?

Old 08-30-2020, 06:08 PM
Chris and Betta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
Take a look at the parts manual (from the FAQ section)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3...5ZTVjZjEw/view
See if the steering parts locations are the same (for parts beyond the steering box)... if they are, standard LHD parts should be fine.

How is the steering column (on the right) connected to the steering box (on the left)?
Your right I was being dumb
It was on my left as I faced the car
The steering column comes directly down into the box so it is on the right as you sit behind the wheel.
Chris

Old 08-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Chris and Betta
Your right I was being dumb
It was on my left as I faced the car
The steering column comes directly down into the box so it is on the right as you sit behind the wheel.
Chris
Arh, well that derails my line of thinking.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:36 PM
Chris and Betta

Arh, well that derails my line of thinking.
Thanks mate,
I will have a look at the parts and what I have underneath and see if I can mod them.
Chris

Old 08-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Thanks mate,
I will have a look at the parts and what I have underneath and see if I can mod them.
Chris
Take pictures, note any visible part numbers... maybe someone will recognize parts.
Some Dodge parts are common to GM vehicles, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to think a RHD GM part could be used for the conversion.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:46 PM
Chris and Betta

Take pictures, note any visible part numbers... maybe someone will recognize parts.
Some Dodge parts are common to GM vehicles, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to think a RHD GM part could be used for the conversion.
Thanks will do.
Today I am spraying the hood and the tail gate then painting is done. I am working rest of week so next work will be probably next Saturday when I should have time to get it up on the hoist.
Thanks for all your help it is appreciated. I will come back with pics.
Cheers
Chris

Old 08-30-2020, 08:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks will do.
Today I am spraying the hood and the tail gate then painting is done. I am working rest of week so next work will be probably next Saturday when I should have time to get it up on the hoist.
Thanks for all your help it is appreciated. I will come back with pics.
Cheers
Chris
I wonder if the steering is just reverse. Our drag links go to the passenger side, I wonder if they just switched it. If they did you could use RHD parts. TREs don't care which knuckle they go into

The following 2 users liked this post by MoparFanatic21:
Chris and Betta (09-21-2020), Spillage (08-30-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Everyone,
Just respraying my 1995 Ram, it is less than 100,000 on the clock. I am ordering a canopy, new lights led spots etc, but wondering about mild performance mods for towing. Also I need to fix the death wobble thing (scared the bleep out of me when it happened), advice on that please as I cant see anything obvious. Also what are best seat covers?
Lots of questions thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Chris
Hey Chris probably the cheapest best 12v mod is putting in a 4k gsk and 60# valve springs. You can also adjust the AFC (aeriod fuel control, vacuum rack limiter). The AFC prevents the rack from moving ahead till you have enough boost (excessive smoke), some guys call it the star wheel. You could also bump the timing up some, but then makes it difficult to start when cold. I would also block in the turbo wastegate, currently limited to 20 psi. You could also remove the fuel plate or move it towards the front of the pump as much as you can.
https://www.dieseltuff.com/instructions/

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 09-09-2020 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris and Betta (09-21-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 04:12 AM
Chris and Betta

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Hey Chris probably the cheapest best 12v mod is putting in a 4k gsk and 60# valve springs. You can also adjust the AFC (aeriod fuel control, vacuum rack limiter). The AFC prevents the rack from moving ahead till you have enough boost (excessive smoke), some guys call it the star wheel. You could also bump the timing up some, but then makes it difficult to start when cold. I would also block in the turbo wastegate, currently limited to 20 psi. You could also remove the fuel plate or move it towards the front of the pump as much as you can.
https://www.dieseltuff.com/instructions/
Thanks, I will have a look at your link much appreciated. I was called back to work for a couple of weeks, I am an on call firefighter, but I was called in for a special project for 2 weeks so been super busy and project was put on hold. I finally got back into my workshop today
Cheers
Chris

Old 09-18-2020, 10:42 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anytime buddy, you have a manual or automatic truck? Wow Australia, I live way up here in Canada and have about four different 2nd gen diesels and probably built up 50 different twin turbo combo's, engines and used hundreds different injectors over the years. You could even build a 6.7L 12v/24v engine up for the old girl, just takes money. Just bumping the governor from stock to 4k would be a decent wake-up for the old girl. Just hope your transmission is up for it. We usually removed the fuel plate for maximum rack travel, and trimmed the AFC level.

Here is a great website for P7100 mods and injectors
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=88662

Enjoy, your new (old) truck.

Quick Reply: 1995 very low KM Cummings mods advice?