2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 very low KM Cummings mods advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 AM
Chris and Betta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 very low KM Cummings mods advice?

Hi Everyone,
Just respraying my 1995 Ram, it is less than 100,000 on the clock. I am ordering a canopy, new lights led spots etc, but wondering about mild performance mods for towing. Also I need to fix the death wobble thing (scared the bleep out of me when it happened), advice on that please as I cant see anything obvious. Also what are best seat covers?
Lots of questions thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Chris

Old 08-28-2020, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Seems there is a fair bit you can do with the 12 valve motors to increase output, without having to spend a whole lot. Diesel specific forums might be better to find that info though. (everything I know about diesel is written on the inside of my left eyelid.....)

Death Wobble is generally the result of loose steering parts, track bar being right out there on the list. The ball-joint end at the frame was just a **** poor design decision...... Check that, if there is ANY slop, replace it. (upgrading to the third gen style track bar is a really good idea.)

Old 08-28-2020, 06:06 PM
Chris and Betta

Thanks for the reply. I need to see what is available re steering parts for right hand drive as this car in in Australia. The wobble never happened before, but going a little faster than normal the wobble started scarded the Jeepers out of me.
Chris

Old 08-28-2020, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, it's certainly a pants-filling moment the first time.

Being right hand drive IS going to make life more interesting. If you have decent fab skills, or know of a good local shop, you could make the conversion bracket for the third gen style track bar...... It has bushings at both ends, so, fix it once, never worry about it again.

The following users liked this post:
Chris and Betta (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 PM
Chris and Betta

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, it's certainly a pants-filling moment the first time.

Being right hand drive IS going to make life more interesting. If you have decent fab skills, or know of a good local shop, you could make the conversion bracket for the third gen style track bar...... It has bushings at both ends, so, fix it once, never worry about it again.
Wonder if I could buy the mk3 version and adapt it?
I am an on call firefighter, I was going to station to attend a Road crash, when it happened I thought I was going to have on!!
Here is truck so far

Chris

Old 08-28-2020, 07:43 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris and Betta
Thanks for the reply. I need to see what is available re steering parts for right hand drive as this car in in Australia. The wobble never happened before, but going a little faster than normal the wobble started scarded the Jeepers out of me.
Chris
I didn’t think a RHD version of these trucks was made.
I remember working with guys in Melbourne in the mid to late 90’s to make conversions.
These trucks have issues with sloppy steering when they get miles on the clock, so I would expect the steering on a conversion truck to be even worse.
The ones I remember had a sprocket & chain drive (on the firewall) between the relocated steering column and the steering box (in it’s LHD location).
I would think chain stretch would be a big contributor to the death wobble.

Last edited by Spillage; 08-28-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:22 AM
Chris and Betta

Originally Posted by Spillage
I didn’t think a RHD version of these trucks was made.
I remember working with guys in Melbourne in the mid to late 90’s to make conversions.
These trucks have issues with sloppy steering when they get miles on the clock, so I would expect the steering on a conversion truck to be even worse.
The ones I remember had a sprocket & chain drive (on the firewall) between the relocated steering column and the steering box (in it’s LHD location).
I would think chain stretch would be a big contributor to the death wobble.
No chain on mine, so conversion done differently. I will get it up on the hoist and have a look at suspension when spray job is finished.
Chris

Old 08-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris and Betta
No chain on mine, so conversion done differently. I will get it up on the hoist and have a look at suspension when spray job is finished.
Chris
LHD steering box is on the LH side... if your steering box is on the left, you should be good for standard parts.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:10 AM
Chris and Betta

LHD steering box is on the LH side... if your steering box is on the left, you should be good for standard parts.
Thanks I will take some pics in the next days.
Cheers
Chris

Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 AM
Chris and Betta

I was too curious the steering box is on the left towards the front near steering damper.
Chris

Quick Reply: 1995 very low KM Cummings mods advice?