2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire and torque converter clutch codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 05:44 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Misfire and torque converter clutch codes

So I was towing my camper an hour north of town today and right before I got there for the first time my check engine light went on. I got hit with a few codes which is intresting. First 2 are engine misfire on cyclinder 4 and 7 it says. Almost code PO740 declares that there is a problem with the torque converter clutch. Anyone ever had that trouble code? Sounds pretty serious. And what should I check for with my engine misfire codes? Thanks all cheers

Old 08-30-2020, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

How old are your plugs/wires/cap/rotor? If you don't remember the last time they were changed, it's a good place to start.

As for the TCC code... my truck would cough that one up every now and then, I just cleared the code, and it would stay gone for a couple months again.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
So I was towing my camper an hour north of town today and right before I got there for the first time my check engine light went on. I got hit with a few codes which is intresting. First 2 are engine misfire on cyclinder 4 and 7 it says. Almost code PO740 declares that there is a problem with the torque converter clutch. Anyone ever had that trouble code? Sounds pretty serious. And what should I check for with my engine misfire codes? Thanks all cheers
Last time it had a tune up? If recently what type of plugs? You could just need a new their converter solenoid

Old 08-30-2020, 08:20 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How old are your plugs/wires/cap/rotor? If you don't remember the last time they were changed, it's a good place to start.

As for the TCC code... my truck would cough that one up every now and then, I just cleared the code, and it would stay gone for a couple months again.

Plugs wires cap and rotor havent been changed since I had the motor completely rebuilt. 60 000km ago or 4 years now. yes that is a good start . What spark plugs do these engines like the best ?

I hope that code isnt anything serious at the moment pretty new tranny fluid in there now would hate to dump it again. When using the overdrive off button when towing. Does that add any strain to torque converter clutch?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:22 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Last time it had a tune up? If recently what type of plugs? You could just need a new their converter solenoid
Like I said above not since the motor was built few years ago only 60 000km on them prob should change soon. No idea what he used for plugs what do you reccomend ? Think there any harm driving the truck till I see some actually changes in performance? Tune up wise I will tackle that soon

Old 08-30-2020, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Copper plugs, of your favorite brand. Champion were stock, I think, but, I personally, don't care for them. I ran autolites, or A/CDelco in mine.

TCC locks whether you have O/D off or not. But, it's easier for the trans to move the truck in a lower gear, so, less strain on that clutch.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:28 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Copper plugs, of your favorite brand. Champion were stock, I think, but, I personally, don't care for them. I ran autolites, or A/CDelco in mine.

TCC locks whether you have O/D off or not. But, it's easier for the trans to move the truck in a lower gear, so, less strain on that clutch.
Ya I keep overdrive off when towing . Its keeps my transmission cooler . Higher rpms though more gas burning obviously. I just was worries something may be going on with the tranny since the code came up when I was towing some weight

Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Like I said above not since the motor was built few years ago only 60 000km on them prob should change soon. No idea what he used for plugs what do you reccomend ? Think there any harm driving the truck till I see some actually changes in performance? Tune up wise I will tackle that soon
Sorry didn't see that part. Copper plugs only. I drove about 32 miles on a bad miss (couldn't go over 50mph without the truck shaking badly)

Old 08-30-2020, 08:35 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Sorry didn't see that part. Copper plugs only. I drove about 32 miles on a bad miss (couldn't go over 50mph without the truck shaking badly)
What was the fix?

Old 08-30-2020, 09:03 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Was thinking of getting nicer wires this time. Are msd worth the money ? Do you notice a slight difference really?

Quick Reply: Misfire and torque converter clutch codes