2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge Ram v8 5.9 bent push rod. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 01:39 AM
Weyne808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram v8 5.9 bent push rod. Help!

Aloha Everyone. I’m a newbie and just started this accounts. Got a problem with my truck. My truck has been sitting for a few years due to failed fuel pump. I’ve just replaced fuel pump. Decided to do a tune up. Oil change, spark plugs&wires, distributor cap&rotor. Changing these items I thought it would resolve my engine idle problem. I was wrong. I’ve also replaced my IAC valve because it was clogged and dirty. It help the idle just a bit better. Engine starts fine no check engine light Although with just a little hick up. I then could smell coolant but couldn’t find any leaks. Decided to pull out and replace the intake manifold gaskets and I then found out that one of my push rod was bent. Valve springs looks ok and don’t see any defect. My plans are to replace all 16 push rods. So my questions are:

- Would I need to put my number 1 cylinder on TDC before removing push rods? Or can just remove it and install it?
- What else would I need to be looking for to see if my engine is damage?
- Would it have possibly bent my valves?

Last edited by Weyne808; 08-31-2020 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I do believe there is a specific procedure for installing the rocker arms..... should find it in the service manual, grab one from here. I would be checking the valve and guide on the one that bent the pushrod. Gotta be a reason it bent.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:57 PM
Weyne808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I do believe there is a specific procedure for installing the rocker arms..... should find it in the service manual, grab one from here. I would be checking the valve and guide on the one that bent the pushrod. Gotta be a reason it bent.
Thank you! I will check today.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram v8 5.9 bent push rod. Help!