2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 07:12 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Exhaust Replacement

1995 Ram 2500
Club Cab
V10
4WD
8' box

Okay, so the exhaust was real noisy and I popped on a couple band clamps, which solved the problem, except a leak that sounds like a rattle around the cats (2) and muffler area. Can't seem to find exactly where it is so far, but might want to just replace that section.

I want the truck to be as quiet as possible, so is there a way I can eliminate the cats and run some pipes to just a new muffler on out to the tail?

What do you suggest and where's a decent place to order parts for this?

Thanks in advance ...

Old 09-06-2020, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you don't have emissions testing, or inspections, you can lose the cats, put in a couple pieces of pipe, and call it a day. Your truck doesn't have rear O2 sensors, so, the PCM really shouldn't care.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:14 AM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you don't have emissions testing, or inspections, you can lose the cats, put in a couple pieces of pipe, and call it a day. Your truck doesn't have rear O2 sensors, so, the PCM really shouldn't care.
We do have inspections here on all vehicles, but from 1995 on back, which is what my truck is, they don't do emission checks. I did talk to a muffler shop almost 2 years when I first got the truck to see how much to replace the exhaust system without the cats and the guys there did say he would fail me for inspection if they are not there, but then again, these chains are always trying to sell you something. I've brought the truck in for inspection to the regular shop I go to with my exhaust really loud from holes all over and he didn't say a word. I'll have to ask around if they look under the truck, but I do know for sure they don't do emissions on my truck.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Could pick up a couple of aftermarket high flow cats...... not as cheap as a couple pieces of pipe, but, avoids the potential legal hassles.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:09 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like your cat interior has broken loose from it's mounting. You can remove, pulverize the inerds n drain out your cat n pop the old cat shell back on the exhaust.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 AM
insideoutniteclub
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could pick up a couple of aftermarket high flow cats...... not as cheap as a couple pieces of pipe, but, avoids the potential legal hassles.
Actually most cats are rated to 5.9 liters or less, and aren’t designed for the duty of a v10; especially universal “high flow” ones. They’ll fall apart and rattle just from poor construction and that’s half the reason why they’re cheaper, not to mention less precious material used. He needs cats made for a heavy duty truck that has an 8.0 liter engine, and adequate for the constant pressure/heat of being on the business end

Old 09-27-2020, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by insideoutniteclub
Actually most cats are rated to 5.9 liters or less, and aren’t designed for the duty of a v10; especially universal “high flow” ones. They’ll fall apart and rattle just from poor construction and that’s half the reason why they’re cheaper, not to mention less precious material used. He needs cats made for a heavy duty truck that has an 8.0 liter engine, and adequate for the constant pressure/heat of being on the business end
That's why ya use two. One for each bank. Last I checked, 4 liters is less than 5.9.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (09-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Replacement