2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 09:06 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 46RE Shift problems

Hello, I have a 2002 Ram 2500 V8 with the 46RE with 170k miles and the transmission is acting up. Sometimes it will not shift out of first until i let off the gas, sometimes it will just shift high at 3k rpm, and sometimes it will shift fine. The other problem i have is sometimes the 3-4 shift is rough. I believe it is a governor pressure sensor. Can anyone confirm this or is it something else? I would rather not rebuild the whole trans if i don't have to.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerLemming
Hello, I have a 2002 Ram 2500 V8 with the 46RE with 170k miles and the transmission is acting up. Sometimes it will not shift out of first until i let off the gas, sometimes it will just shift high at 3k rpm, and sometimes it will shift fine. The other problem i have is sometimes the 3-4 shift is rough. I believe it is a governor pressure sensor. Can anyone confirm this or is it something else? I would rather not rebuild the whole trans if i don't have to.
Last time the bends were adjusted? You can unplug the 8 pin connector. You will lose all automatic functions and will have to shift 1 to 2 to D when appropriate. If it shifts when you tell it to it's electrical problem. If you still have problems it's time for a rebuild

Old 09-22-2020, 10:24 AM
KillerLemming
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Last time the bends were adjusted? You can unplug the 8 pin connector. You will lose all automatic functions and will have to shift 1 to 2 to D when appropriate. If it shifts when you tell it to it's electrical problem. If you still have problems it's time for a rebuild
I haven't adjusted the bands, and i don't know if it was done by the previous owner. Is it possible to adjust them without removing the transmission?

Old 09-22-2020, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You can do band adjustments without pulling the trans, its just a maintenance thing..... One of 'em is INSIDE the trans though, so, gotta pull the pan/filter to adjust that one. (so, might just as well change the filter/fluid.)

Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Might want to see if there is anything wrong with the TV cable.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:47 PM
KillerLemming
Professional

I haven't gotten around to working on my truck today, But today i gave it some gas and smelled transmission fluid, so i pulled over and quickly checked the fluid level, and i was way over the full line. Does anyone know if this could be the reason why this is happening?

Old 10-05-2020, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Being overfull can give you some odd problems.

Keep in mind, you have to check fluid level in neutral. Checking in park gives you an artificially high reading.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:59 PM
KillerLemming
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Being overfull can give you some odd problems.

Keep in mind, you have to check fluid level in neutral. Checking in park gives you an artificially high reading.
I checked it in neutral and its a few inches over the full line

Old 10-06-2020, 02:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

A few INCHES????? Yeah, that might be a problem. Not foamy is it?

Old 10-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Scott Zyniecki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I don't know if this is a common problem, or if i just got unlucky, but i picked up my truck used a few years ago and had the same issue. There is a spacer wedge that goes between the transmission band and the bolt that adjusts it. On my truck the spacer wedge had fallen out of place. If anyone previous to you had adjusted the bands or possibly done transmission work it may have fallen off on yours as well. A way to test before you tear your entire tranny apart is to see if you can get any torque on the band adjustment outside of the transmission before it sits flush with the transmission housing. If it goes flat easily without tightening, than either your band is broken or youre missing that wedge. Luckily its a cheap fix, just a pain in the *** pulling the transmission apart, Just be careful and don't over torque the band.

Last edited by Scott Zyniecki; 10-09-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 46RE Shift problems