2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle angles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 PM
mud slinger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle angles?

Well I aligned my truck to have the most caster possible at 8.5 to keep it straight for towing and stuff since I got the 37s and rc lift which we all know are stiffer than bds but still work. Also i75 has a lot of construction going on so I’d prefer to have the wide tires not pull side to side when the road gets all narly the problem is my front drive shaft is at a terrible angle and the joints don’t have much before bind while sitting, but to get that better I gotta go a lot lower on caster so for 5” suspension lift what casters is the lowest I can go before I’m a shopping cart? Offroad I notice the bad angle in 4wd it drains forward momentum. And I do like how it drives now.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There're a few companies out there selling transfer case indexing ring kits that clock the transfer case a few degrees when installed. It's supposed to lower the output shaft a few inches depending on how far the kit you buy rotates it.

Maybe if you did that you could keep the caster you like running. and get rid of the shaft joint binding concerns.

I was thinking about maybe trying one of these kits myself.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:52 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Generally you want to run less caster with bigger tires. The factory caster angle numbers are based on stock tire sizes but they are merely a convenient way to adjust "trail". Trail is the distance between the line that the knuckle rotates around and the tire contact patch center. It affects the steering return and how much force it takes to steer. If you increase the tire diameter it increases the trail as well and with it how much centering force is generated. If you increase caster as well it adds to the trail increase from the tires.

Assuming you are running wheels with a reasonable offset (if the center of the contact patch moves way out it might require a lot of caster) try running in the factory spec range or even a little less in the low 2 degree range. See how squirrely it feels and increase until there's a good balance between straight line tracking and driveline angle.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:00 PM
mud slinger
Rookie

Okay I’ll start at 2 and see how it goes, and idk if I could clock the transfer cause I have a skid plate

Old 09-28-2020, 08:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by mud slinger
Okay I’ll start at 2 and see how it goes, and idk if I could clock the transfer cause I have a skid plate
You still can just meet require notching the Crossmember if you index it a lot

Old 09-28-2020, 08:34 PM
mud slinger
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You still can just meet require notching the Crossmember if you index it a lot
well I look into it if they are cheap but I’ll try the caster see if i still like it or can get it right for everything if not I’ll have to clock it

Old 09-28-2020, 09:20 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Try backing the caster down to 6-7 degrees try to stay above 5 for sure.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:18 PM
mud slinger
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2bit
Try backing the caster down to 6-7 degrees try to stay above 5 for sure.
alright I try out 5 at first it might work for pin angle Funny thing is the rear angle after I lifted it was perfect though I can’t floor it from dead stop cause it’ll wrap twice but it never can be easy to do a modification after one thing ya gotta fix 10 others

Quick Reply: Front axle angles?