2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tail Light Harness brake Lights and Signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 11:12 PM
Lone Ranger Roy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail Light Harness brake Lights and Signals

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. The previous owner I think had the factory tow packaged installed. I am having trouble reconnecting the wires to the 7 way round plug that attaches to the vehicles wires. I had one question for now to keep it simple. Around the left fender area underneath the truck there is a 2 plug wiring harness that plugs in up front. That harness runs to the rear of the truck to the tail lights. I'm asking if anyone knows of a replacement harness for what I described. I was going to ask at a salvage yard, I'm not sure what to ask for. Maybe ask for the harness that runs front the front under he left fender to rear that connects to the tail lights. There is a 7way trailer connector. It has an electric brake for a trailer. It has a goose neck hitch in the truck bed.
My next step is to order the Curt #55329 which has the the connections into the two tail lights.
My main concern right now is to get a replacement harness with the two plugs that run from under the drivers side fender to the rear of the vehicle which houses the back lights. I could start with the 4 way plug and add the 7way if needed.
Appreciate any help with this problem.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Junkyard is likely going to be your only option for the harness. What's wrong with the one on the truck now?

Old 09-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I believe the tow package has the extra wires for the brake controller incorporated into the main harness. You should be able tap into the wires for the lights for everything else.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Lone Ranger Roy
Amateur
Default Pictures of Trailer Plug Wiring. My Truck Lights in Back Aren't Working.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Junkyard is likely going to be your only option for the harness. What's wrong with the one on the truck now?

Taped into tail light harness for power. That is how It is was wired. I followed it.

The plugs that are on the truck. At the end of plugs are the wires that go to the 7 way trailer plug.

The wires and the end of vehicle plug. Right tail light. Left tail lights. Trailer brake wire. Constant power. A black wire that I don't know what it is. Can't find wire for brake lights or turn signals. At one time these same wires had everything working. I don't know how to get them to work again. Neither did a couple of mechanic shops. The way I determined what wires they were: Ran a wire from the battery and touched wires. Each light would light up.

The plug pulled apart.

Wires from the 7 way trailer plug.

A up close picture of wires coming out of plug.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Lone Ranger Roy
Amateur

I ordered the curt # 55329 That has a T that goes into each tail light. I don't know if the plug will match up with the vehicle plug.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

I think what happened here is that the 7 pin socket was replaced at one time. The wire colors coming from the socket are typical for aftermarket parts: Green right turn/brake, yellow left turn/brake, blue trailer brake, brown tail/marker lights, red 12V power, white ground. These need to be matched up with the colors from the plugs, actually the labels may list what the wires are for. I have no idea what the scotch lok is for, I'd remove that for now.

As a side note trailers have only one wire for the tail lights, what you call left and right tail lights should be the brake/turn lights.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:22 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 09-29-2020, 12:38 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

2bit's post brings up a good point: There is no standard for the wire colors. Better double check how the socket on the back is configured.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:57 PM
Lone Ranger Roy
Amateur

The labeling of the wires is very amateur of me. It helped. I ran a power wire from the battery too the back of the truck. When I touched the power wires to the individual wire on the truck, I got right signal not a left signal. I tapped into the license plates lights to power the tails lights with a certain wire, only because I remembered that wire was connected that way before I took it apart. The back up lights stay on all the time. Right now all the wires are disconnected. I bought the seven way plug with all the wires attached to it. I have the original plug with the wires still attached. I am going to take a look at the old plug and see if the position of the new wires are positioned the same as the old plug. I'll use the diagram you sent as a guide. I tried reattaching the old plug with the same results I'm getting now. I did notice from the beginning of the harness where it plugs in just under the left fender a green wire was broken. I reattached it. I would be happy if I can get a 4 way plug to work. I don't need the 7 way plug. I'm not towing a trailer.
Thank you for your help and the diagram.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 AM
Lone Ranger Roy
Amateur

Thank you. I'm going to look at the socket on the back. If I have to get the color wires I need and wire the socket. It seems like nothing is working. It was working fine. I think what happened was the green wire up front broke. I didn't notice it right away and started messing around with the plug. Now I'm having a hard time.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Harness brake Lights and Signals