2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No cruise and wild vents.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 06:37 AM
HD Kowboi
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No cruise and wild vents.

I've had wild vents and no cruise for some time and I'm trying to chase down the cause. I replaced the check valve near the intake with the napa part with no change, I'll replace the other one today. I also replaced the cruise control cable because it was broken. The cruise worked up until the cable broke some time ago. Is there a way to test the servo to see if it works?

Old 10-02-2020, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The servo is under the battery..... so, it, and the vacuum line going to it, tend to suffer from that. Check the line, make sure it isn't broken. Also, a significant vacuum leak will give you the symptoms you have there.....

Old 10-03-2020, 06:42 AM
HD Kowboi
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The servo is under the battery..... so, it, and the vacuum line going to it, tend to suffer from that. Check the line, make sure it isn't broken. Also, a significant vacuum leak will give you the symptoms you have there.....
The vacuum line and connectors all seem to be good. I've replaced both check valves now and still have a leak somewhere. I think my next move could be adding a vacuum canister/reservoir.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

I replaced the check valve near the intake with the napa part with no change, I'll replace the other one today.
You need to make sure you install them the correct way, Installed wrong they do nothing.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Kowboi
The vacuum line and connectors all seem to be good. I've replaced both check valves now and still have a leak somewhere. I think my next move could be adding a vacuum canister/reservoir.
Have to checked the vacuum canister for leaks? Do you smoke cigars?

Old 10-04-2020, 06:50 AM
HD Kowboi
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Have to checked the vacuum canister for leaks? Do you smoke cigars?
I'm not sure how to do a smoke test for the HVAC stuff. Right now there is no vacuum canister but I'm thinking of adding one.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Right now there is no vacuum canister
What are you driving? The canister is in the cowl above the ac lines where it goes threw the firewall. The line coming off the "T"(where the second check valve is) going up goes to it.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:45 AM
HD Kowboi
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
What are you driving? The canister is in the cowl above the ac lines where it goes threw the firewall. The line coming off the "T"(where the second check valve is) going up goes to it.

2001 Ram 1500 3.9l, as far as I know or can see there is no vacuum canister/reservoir so I thought about adding a GM one, Napa Part #: NOE 7301605

Old 10-04-2020, 11:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Kowboi
2001 Ram 1500 3.9l, as far as I know or can see there is no vacuum canister/reservoir so I thought about adding a GM one, Napa Part #: NOE 7301605
From the factory there is one in the cowl. Doing a smoke test is easy if you (or someone you know smokes cigars) disconnect the main vacuum harness and now smoke through it. Then look to see where the smoke is coming from

Old 10-04-2020, 04:57 PM
HD Kowboi
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
From the factory there is one in the cowl. Doing a smoke test is easy if you (or someone you know smokes cigars) disconnect the main vacuum harness and now smoke through it. Then look to see where the smoke is coming from
I found the elusive canister right where you said it would be. This is the first I've ever heard of it in the on going flappy vent/no cruise saga. Anyway, I don't smoke but my neighbor that always borrows my stuff does so maybe I'll get him to help. I don't have pics of that but here are the controls.

Apparently one the ports from the control goes to nothing. Any ideas?

Last edited by HD Kowboi; 10-04-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: No cruise and wild vents.