2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New fuel pump and gauge won’t work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Russrob82
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New fuel pump and gauge won’t work.

I just replaced my fuel pump in a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l. I got a complete fuel pump with regulater and everything from O’rileys. The fuel pump is working but now the gauge is showing empty and the fuel light is on. I didn’t have an empty tank when I installed because I took the bed off. My friend was telling me that it might need to have an empty tank in order to calibrate the sensor but it has a float and it’s an older vehicle so I wouldn’t imagine that would be the problem. It worked for a day and even went to full when I filled it but the next day it went to empty. I’ve tried removing the fuel relay and unhooking the battery. Do you guys know what could be wrong with it?

Old 10-10-2020, 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Gas gauge should work just fine, right out of the box. I suspect you got a bad part. Wouldn't be the first time.

What brand did you get?

Old 10-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Russrob82

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gas gauge should work just fine, right out of the box. I suspect you got a bad part. Wouldn't be the first time.

What brand did you get?
I got a precision fuel pump assembly from ORileys. It was the correct fit for the truck and I had them verify that it was the same part number for even a 1996 just in case it was an older pump originally in the truck. It was weird because the gauge was working before I replaced the pump and it even worked for half a day after I replaced it. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it but the pump is working great. I just don’t want to have to replace it again especially if it’s going to do the same thing.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the connector at the pump module. The pins for the gas gauge may have pushed out a bit.... Or, the float may have sank...... in which case, the only fix is replacement.

I won't use the 'off brand' pumps and such. Denso, or Delphi only. I don't like doing those jobs twice.

The following users liked this post:
Russrob82 (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Russrob82

I’m going to replace it tomorrow since it’s considered under warranty and I’ll take a look at the connectors then. I’m hoping that will fix it I just didn’t want to have to do it twice.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You are already doing it twice.

See if you can get your money back, or, pay the difference, and get a better quality pump.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Russrob82

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are already doing it twice.

See if you can get your money back, or, pay the difference, and get a better quality pump.
what’s sad is that was the best one they had to offer the other one was their brand and it was a cheaper option. I’m hoping replacing it again will fix it but I doubt it lol

Old 10-11-2020, 06:04 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You could see if they will special order a better pump for you, If not maybe return the one for store credit and get one someplace else.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Russrob82

Originally Posted by Moparite
You could see if they will special order a better pump for you, If not maybe return the one for store credit and get one someplace else.
I ended up having to get a car quest one because they didn’t have anymore in town. The orileys fuel pump ended up having gas inside the float so they covered it under warranty and got my money bad.

Quick Reply: New fuel pump and gauge won’t work.