2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please. Rear diff issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:26 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The pinion should be pointing more or less at the t-case. If it is, that's fine. Put the shaft back in, tighten the bolts good, maybe run it on jack stands a bit?
Sorry if I'm not using the right wording but I assume the pinion is behind the yoke that holds the u joint in. In that case yes it does point towards the t-case. I just am concerned with the way that the diff cover is tilted slightly down that its creating a bigger angle which may be hard on the u joint? Possibly why it popped out last night? Or maybe I just didn't have them to tight. I have new straps and bolts and u joint now. This weekend I'll see if I can get it back in and see what happens. Just don't want to be stranded again and the tilted diff is bugging me just looking at it

Old 10-23-2020, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

If it was tilted the other way, I would be concerned. As it is, I really don't think it's a problem.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Sorry if I'm not using the right wording but I assume the pinion is behind the yoke that holds the u joint in. In that case yes it does point towards the t-case. I just am concerned with the way that the diff cover is tilted slightly down that its creating a bigger angle which may be hard on the u joint? Possibly why it popped out last night? Or maybe I just didn't have them to tight. I have new straps and bolts and u joint now. This weekend I'll see if I can get it back in and see what happens. Just don't want to be stranded again and the tilted diff is bugging me just looking at it
In a perfect world you want the driveshaft flat, since you simply can't, you focus on angles. In a perfect world the transmission would point to the diff and the diff at the transmission. With the pinion facing the T case that's about the best angle you can get. Now the u joint falling out it could have been a few things. Such as wrong u joint, bolts not tight enough, etc. I like HeyYou's idea of running it on jack stands if you are really concerned about it

Old 10-23-2020, 04:31 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

If it was tilted the other way, I would be concerned. As it is, I really don't think it's a problem.
yes that would be pretty crazy if it was tilted up!! Haha. Ok I guess I'll live with it. Maybe it is the new blocks that is creating it to sit like that.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:33 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
In a perfect world you want the driveshaft flat, since you simply can't, you focus on angles. In a perfect world the transmission would point to the diff and the diff at the transmission. With the pinion facing the T case that's about the best angle you can get. Now the u joint falling out it could have been a few things. Such as wrong u joint, bolts not tight enough, etc. I like HeyYou's idea of running it on jack stands if you are really concerned about it

Yes I made the shop triple check i have right u joint. I think My bolts were super tight as i was nervous of snapping another one off after how long it took to get old one out. I have new straps and bolts and the u joint
Just need to find out what the actual torque specs are on these dinky bolts.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:01 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yes I made the shop triple check i have right u joint. I think My bolts were super tight as i was nervous of snapping another one off after how long it took to get old one out. I have new straps and bolts and the u joint
Just need to find out what the actual torque specs are on these dinky bolts.
I know it's in inch pounds that's all I know lol

Old 10-23-2020, 10:29 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

I know it's in inch pounds that's all I know lol
yes. Most definitely lol

Old 10-24-2020, 02:12 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

This is the angle its at sittong on trailer with no drive shaft in it

Old 10-24-2020, 03:37 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

I posted a pic above how its sitting. Think its ok? I think the new blocks did actually change the angle..

Old 10-24-2020, 04:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I posted a pic above how its sitting. Think its ok? I think the new blocks did actually change the angle..
That's fine mine is angled a little more with no problems

Quick Reply: Help please. Rear diff issues