2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Traction bar, on my leaf sprung rear that wont bind?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 09:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would think the arm needs to be approximately the same length as the front half of the leaf spring though,,, else you will have two different arms attempting to move the axle in two different arcs...... Thought it seems to me, the shackle doesn't seem like it would do much for axle wrap.... even though it says that's what it is designed to do..... Maybe I am just paranoid.
They don't have to be the same length as the leafs but the same mounting point (if you are using 2)

Old 10-27-2020, 09:41 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think, if I understand you, that is what I was worried about too. Doesn't the shackle just make it do nothing.? There are a coupple other manufacturers of similar products. I just don't think my brain is quite sophisticated to understand what is supposed to be happening here. Maybe I need to call them up and ask them to educate me on this.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:01 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Now if you have a lot of articulation and are off roading they will limit your "flex".
Yes that seems to be the complaint I'm reading about others with ladder bars run into. The dual solid mounted ones limit flex as compared to the same suspension with the bars removed. It's no big deal if you are running a tow rig or a dragster.

Supposedly some of the guys with alot of travel have been using these weird ones I saw one post, I think maybe Pirate that was saying they were the **** but haven't found much else.

There is another option besides these weird bars for use with the solid mount traction bars like you are talking. Thre are these floating axxle kits about made by Competition Engineering which supposedly allows the axle to float. separately from the spring , and this supposedly also completely solves the binding issue that limits travel. on long travel suspensions There are youtube videos it's pretty cool to watch. LINK

Unfortunately don't believe I could use the Competition Engoineering floating axle pieces, and use the airbag with the Daystar cups like I was planning.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:06 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

you know I was looking for that youtube video of those competition engineering pieces but I think I saw that on a Stacy David episode or something.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Yes that seems to be the complaint I'm reading about others with ladder bars run into. The dual solid mounted ones limit flex as compared to the same suspension with the bars removed. It's no big deal if you are running a tow rig or a dragster.

Supposedly some of the guys with alot of travel have been using these weird ones I saw one post, I think maybe Pirate that was saying they were the **** but haven't found much else.

There is another option besides these weird bars for use with the solid mount traction bars like you are talking. Thre are these floating axxle kits about made by Competition Engineering which supposedly allows the axle to float. separately from the spring , and this supposedly also completely solves the binding issue that limits travel. on long travel suspensions There are youtube videos it's pretty cool to watch. LINK

Unfortunately don't believe I could use the Competition Engoineering floating axle pieces, and use the airbag with the Daystar cups like I was planning.
Depending on how that kit mounts you could mount the cradles to that mount. Honestly if you are looking for no axle wrap, and major flex. Triangular 4 link is the only way to go.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:58 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

I would love to do a 4 link. Not now though.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I would love to do a 4 link. Not now though.
There is a difference between 4 link and triangular 4 link

Old 10-28-2020, 02:26 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Had to look it up. I have seen pictures of that before but didn't know what it is called. Pretty cool.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What about the old style 'hot rod' traction bars, that mount under the axle? I think most of those I have seen were designed for spring under axle though.......

Old 10-28-2020, 07:53 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have PMF traction bars in the rear of my F250 and they don't bind and all. It didn't affect the flex either as far as I can tell, but a 3/4 ton trucks don't have that much flex to begin with.

Quick Reply: Traction bar, on my leaf sprung rear that wont bind?