2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 sensor not ready on readiness check

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 01:17 AM
Rshook20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor not ready on readiness check

Alright here we go. But of a head scratcher for me at least.

i have a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.2 and I’m currently having issues with the o2 sensors stuck in “not ready.” I took my truck in to get smogged about a month ago and passed everything but the visual inspection simple because my check engine light was not working. No codes or anything. I finally was able to get that ironed out but in the process my starter went out and needed to be replaced so I had to unhook the battery which reset the pcm and the readiness monitors. So I drove my truck and had put 500+ miles on it and went through the drive cycles. Took the truck into get smogged again and they failed me yet again because the o2 weren’t ready. Took the truck home and got under it to find that the o2 were in pretty bad shape so decided that it wouldn’t hurt to replace them anyways. Got them replaced and drove another 200 miles and went through the drive cycles and everything checked out but the o2’s of course. In fact when I hook up my OBD2 the o2 isn’t even reading anything when I click on the live data. Is this simply a case of just needing to drive the truck more or am I looking at a potential bigger or different issue somewhere down the line?

Old 10-30-2020, 01:37 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rshook20
Alright here we go. But of a head scratcher for me at least.

i have a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.2 and I’m currently having issues with the o2 sensors stuck in “not ready.” I took my truck in to get smogged about a month ago and passed everything but the visual inspection simple because my check engine light was not working. No codes or anything. I finally was able to get that ironed out but in the process my starter went out and needed to be replaced so I had to unhook the battery which reset the pcm and the readiness monitors. So I drove my truck and had put 500+ miles on it and went through the drive cycles. Took the truck into get smogged again and they failed me yet again because the o2 weren’t ready. Took the truck home and got under it to find that the o2 were in pretty bad shape so decided that it wouldn’t hurt to replace them anyways. Got them replaced and drove another 200 miles and went through the drive cycles and everything checked out but the o2’s of course. In fact when I hook up my OBD2 the o2 isn’t even reading anything when I click on the live data. Is this simply a case of just needing to drive the truck more or am I looking at a potential bigger or different issue somewhere down the line?
What brand O2 sensors?

Old 10-30-2020, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

What do you mean by 'aren't reading anything'??

Old 10-31-2020, 09:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

the o2 were in pretty bad shape so decided that it wouldn’t hurt to replace them anyways.
X2 what brand? Stay away from Bosch! I would think if there was an issue with the 02's you would get a code/s (check engine light) since driving it 500 miles. A 97 you can do the key dance to get them. Your check engine light should come on when you start it and go out in a few seconds(if there are no codes).

Old 11-01-2020, 02:57 PM
Rshook20

I’ve done the key trick and get the codes 12 and 55 which from what I’ve been told and my research 12 is battery disconnected within the last 50 starts or a low voltage. But obd2 shows nothing other than the o2 sensors not readying up or when looking at the live data there’s a voltage reading on the o2’s and there’s another reading I’m not too familiar with but it just shows a dash mark. I’m assuming there should be some sort of reading on the o2’s

Old 11-01-2020, 07:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

O2's should bounce between 0 and 1 volt. That's normal. What is the other reading??

Old 11-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Rshook20

So this is the snapshot of the live data. I’m guessing where is says o2sloc there should be numbers reading where the dash marks are. And for those asking I do have a Bosch o2 sensor on the downstream o2 port. The one upstream is a denso.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's just O2 locations. I think that is telling you just how many you have. Of course, it there is more than 2, not sure how you would determine that.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor not ready on readiness check