2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes and pyrometer questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 03:56 PM
simanio872
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brakes and pyrometer questions

Hi guys,

time to do the front brakes on the 3500 and looks like they arent a typical rotor job lol. I was hoping somebody could tell me what exactly i need to do the front rotors and, hopefully, guve me a link to a how to video. Also have a pyrometer coming in tuesday, what should i splice into to power it? Was thinking about just robbing the cigarette lighters power but not sure if it would be enough.
I appreciate any info or advice, thanks!

Old 11-01-2020, 07:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

What year is your truck?

What's the pyrometer for?

Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

2wd or 4wd ? Dually or SRW ?

Old 11-01-2020, 08:37 PM
simanio872
Amateur

Sometimes i forget you guys arent mind readers 97 3500 drw, dana 80 drum rear and dana 60 disc front. Should add that it looks like the rotor is pressed on the hub assembly? Seems i can buy the “complete hub” or just the rotor, not sure if i should replace the hub or what the complete ones come with. Pyrometers for egts after i start playing with the fuel plate. Thanks!

Last edited by simanio872; 11-01-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Ah, der diesel.

Yeah, the rotors are staked onto the hubs from the back, via the lug studs.. One of the stupidest designs I have seen in some time. (though dodge wasn't the only one to do that particular trick.) If your hubs are original, might just as well replace those as well......

The following users liked this post:
simanio872 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 PM
simanio872
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ah, der diesel.

Yeah, the rotors are staked onto the hubs from the back, via the lug studs.. One of the stupidest designs I have seen in some time. (though dodge wasn't the only one to do that particular trick.) If your hubs are original, might just as well replace those as well......
definitely my first time owning a rig with that sort of setup, just what i needed to know man, thank you!

Old 11-01-2020, 09:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by simanio872
Sometimes i forget you guys arent mind readers 97 3500 drw, dana 80 drum rear and dana 60 disc front. Should add that it looks like the rotor is pressed on the hub assembly? Seems i can buy the “complete hub” or just the rotor, not sure if i should replace the hub or what the complete ones come with. Pyrometers for egts after i start playing with the fuel plate. Thanks!
Are you looking for power for the gauge inside the cab?

Old 11-01-2020, 10:41 PM
simanio872
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Are you looking for power for the gauge inside the cab?
yessir, not really sure where to splice it in or how to power. I believe they instruct you to splice it into the ignition but it doesnt specify where/how, not sure i want to find out the hard way lol

Old 11-02-2020, 12:26 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by simanio872
yessir, not really sure where to splice it in or how to power. I believe they instruct you to splice it into the ignition but it doesnt specify where/how, not sure i want to find out the hard way lol
Depending on the gauge manufacturer you might need two power wires (one constant and one switch) my glow shift 13 color one was like that. The cleanest and reversible method (looks really close to factory which I like because I'm **** about wiring) is a fuse tap into the fuse box (side of dash). You can but them at the parts store you need the mini ATC fuse ones. I can get a picture of one if you need. No splices of the factory wires

Sorry if you don't understand I sometimes suck at explaining on the internet and also sorry for any typos I use my phone

Old 11-02-2020, 12:47 AM
simanio872
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Depending on the gauge manufacturer you might need two power wires (one constant and one switch) my glow shift 13 color one was like that. The cleanest and reversible method (looks really close to factory which I like because I'm **** about wiring) is a fuse tap into the fuse box (side of dash). You can but them at the parts store you need the mini ATC fuse ones. I can get a picture of one if you need. No splices of the factory wires

Sorry if you don't understand I sometimes suck at explaining on the internet and also sorry for any typos I use my phone
man, i didnt even know something like a fuse tap existed, i will definitely be going that route. Does the tap just piggyback power from an existing circuit or do i just plug it in an empty spot? I believe its just a constant so should save me some trouble. Thank you man! Was getting pretty nervous about that

Quick Reply: Brakes and pyrometer questions