2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Rear Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:13 PM
HB ZL1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Rear Brake Lines

Hi,

I’m new to the forums. The line that goes from the front to the rear (near gas tank) has a leak. I plan on replacing that line along with the rubber hose and the lines that sit on the rear axle. Are the brake lines the same across all trims? I have a regular cab with the 6ft bed. What brand will fit? I’ve seen a bunch on eBay, but I don’t want to buy something that won’t fit

Thanks

Old 10-31-2020, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Go to the parts store, and buy a couple long lengths of brake line, with the appropriate fittings. I actually think one section will be enough, but, might wanna grab a short one as well, and rent the flaring tool. (and a cutoff tool....) Just change the one line. Less than 20 bucks, and some brake fluid.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:13 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Rear brake lines may differ if you have discs. Before you get too happy check the other lines for exterior corrosion, and the hoses for cracks. As long as it is up check the wheel cylinders/ rear calipers. If you have two that have bad exterior corrosion do em all. It's your families' life you are talking about. I have an 01 2500 and I caught the complete set of stainless steel lines on sale pre bent for $125, hoses were extra,.Amazon. Check and see if you have rear discs as well and if the car is 2wd or 4wd and which axle you have. It is one of the few dorman products that works

Old 10-31-2020, 11:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Xombi
Rear brake lines may differ if you have discs. Before you get too happy check the other lines for exterior corrosion, and the hoses for cracks. As long as it is up check the wheel cylinders/ rear calipers. If you have two that have bad exterior corrosion do em all. It's your families' life you are talking about. I have an 01 2500 and I caught the complete set of stainless steel lines on sale pre bent for $125, hoses were extra,.Amazon. Check and see if you have rear discs as well and if the car is 2wd or 4wd and which axle you have. It is one of the few dorman products that works
Dorman copied SSTubes

Old 11-01-2020, 12:32 AM
Xombi
Professional

Eric O from the South Main Auto channel thinks Dorman doesn't make em because they work well. Check your fuel lines when you are there as well because dropping the tank makes it easier to correctly fit the brake line. Sometimes the top of the sending unit can be corroded as well. Rubber hoses on the top of the tank are pushing 20 years so get them while you can for a few yuan.

Last edited by Xombi; 11-01-2020 at 01:25 AM. Reason: spellng error
Old 11-02-2020, 09:08 PM
HB ZL1

Just bought 25ft of brake line and the rubber hose off Amazon. It comes with the fittings. I plan on doing the lines on the rear axle as well. Do I need anything else? Is there a clip that holds the rubber and metal line together?

Last edited by HB ZL1; 11-02-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HB ZL1
Just bought 25ft of brake line and the rubber hose off Amazon. It comes with the fittings. I plan on doing the lines on the rear axle as well. Do I need anything else? Is there a clip that holds the rubber and metal line together?
Yes there is a clip that holds the rubber hose on the bracket. The clip should come with the hose.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:50 PM
Xombi
Professional

Steel or copper nickel line? A better quality flaring tool than Harbor freight sells. It will often produce off center flares. You will need a good quality tubing cutter. Rigid 32985 is what I have had for ages. Something to ream the inside of the lines.
The bending pliers HF sells aren't bad.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:02 PM
HB ZL1

Originally Posted by Xombi
Steel or copper nickel line? A better quality flaring tool than Harbor freight sells. It will often produce off center flares. You will need a good quality tubing cutter. Rigid 32985 is what I have had for ages. Something to ream the inside of the lines.
The bending pliers HF sells aren't bad.
I bought the copper nickel line. I’ll have to pick some tools up. How do you remove the junction block on the rear axle? I believe the new hose comes with a block that I’ll have to install

Old 11-03-2020, 12:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Block is usually held down by the vent fitting that goes thru it. They REALLY like to rust up, so, make sure you have some PB Blaster on hand as well.

Quick Reply: 01 Rear Brake Lines