2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not the fuel pump. I don't think

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 06:18 AM
Mike893
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the fuel pump. I don't think

2001 Ram 1500 5.2 L
when truck sits for a couple of hours it has to turn over for about 8 seconds before it runs. It seems like the fuel pressure is bleeding down as it sits. I replaced the fuel pump thinking the check valve was bad. It did start correctly for 1 day. So I figured that check value was bad so I put in a inline check value. This didn't help at all.
My next step is to get a pressure guage hook it up start the truck then record the pressure. Let the truck sit , not running and record the pressure every 30 minutes. To confirm there is a drop.
Anyone have some advice?
PS this is my 16 year old girls truck and she don't like it starting like this. If it was mine I would just luce with it.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:08 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

My next step is to get a pressure guage hook it up start the truck then record the pressure.
You should have done this first. Pressure will drop slowly but if you turn the key off and see the gauge drop out then there is a problem. You should also prime the system(after there is no pressure) and see what you have.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Mike893
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
You should have done this first. Pressure will drop slowly but if you turn the key off and see the gauge drop out then there is a problem. You should also prime the system(after there is no pressure) and see what you have.
I did use a pressure gauge first. I didn't see a sudden drop in pressure. But after truck had set for a couple of hours there would be air coming out of the bleed valve before the truck would crank.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:46 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike893
I did use a pressure gauge first. I didn't see a sudden drop in pressure. But after truck had set for a couple of hours there would be air coming out of the bleed valve before the truck would crank.
That doesn't always mean the fuel pump. It could be a connection is bad or there is a hole in the fuel line.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine was a plugged fuel filter, the computer turns on the pump for a quick shot of fuel prior to starting. ****ty part is you have to drop the tank (or remove the bed) anyways to replace. I found a complete fuel pick-up unit (new pick-up screen, new fuel pump, new fuel sender, new fuel filter) from Rockauto for the same money everyone else wanted for a fuel filter. Mine would bleed very similar. You could also leave the key in the run position for 2-4 seconds (this allows the fuel pump to chance up). This worked for me.

Quick Reply: Not the fuel pump. I don't think