2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Massive fuel heater leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 01:20 AM
simanio872
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Massive fuel heater leak

Hey guys,

So first off, i’m an idiot. Decided to yank the fuel heater off my rig (97 12 cummins) as preventative maintenance/peace of mind. Per youtube i removed the pre filter housing, pulled the heater, cleaned the fuel screen and sprayed a little spray a gasket on the o ring since it was rough looking, then screwed the pre filter housing back on, sans fuel heater. Thing drove great home (about 15 miles from my shop) with no issues. I had to go out a couple hours later and noticed my fuel guage was going down quickly, smelled diesel, and pulled to a spot i could leave the truck (half a tank of fuel later). It was dark and pouring rain but the truck was leaking horribly, certainly from the heater/pre filter. Is it possible the thing managed to get that loose in the span of ~35 miles? Does anybody have any other ideas what i screwed up before i head out? Id really like the get it patched up as quickly as possible and get it to the shop so i dont have to haul many tools. Thank you guys, especially the guys that always help out with my dumb questions!

Old 11-06-2020, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Probably should replace the o-ring...... Check it out, see where it is leaking from.

The following users liked this post:
simanio872 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 05:00 PM
simanio872
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably should replace the o-ring...... Check it out, see where it is leaking from.
well, apparently there was some big failure with the overflow valve, thing was squirting fuel out like crazy. The one shop in town that had one charged me a fortune for it but least its in the driveway now. Wondering how the heck that thing got busted just after i popped off the heater lol.

Quick Reply: Massive fuel heater leak