2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Everything new here , the guy & the thread !

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Addict
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everything new here , the guy & the thread !

Hi everybody ,

in these strange times we need to adapt , so I"ll try to do so .... this is about scanning devices !

Let me introduce myself : I'm Ronald ( everybody says Ronny ) from Belgium ,
and (as most people over here I suppose ? ) I'm a huge fan of the Dodge Ram (2nd gen) .

As we also run into technical issues over here we must visit the Chrysler dealer when the problem isn't obvious from the start .
Right now our government closed everything down (again ... ) to stop the COVID 19 virus from spreading further , so we were looking for a way to find out the electronical "virus" that infected our trucks !

So the question is ; can you guys help us to find an affordable scanning tool , so we can check out the fault memory logs of the Ram ?
A little "googling" brought up the Foxwell NT510 elite as one of the best compromises available now , is that correct ?
Price less then 150 dollars ( if you search ... ) , so if the thing does what it's supposed to ...

We really need to be sure that device can tell us every fault code that is present , not only the really important ones (engine) , but also the automatic gearbox , abs , ... because those are the problems we're having right now !

Let's hope the American Dodge Ram drivers are willing to share their knowledge about the scanning tools available for the public , especially those "cases" that love to get their hands dirty themselves instead of dropping the truck at the dealership !

Hope to read your reply soon ...

Greetings , R

Last edited by Addict; 11-22-2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot to tell the subject : scanning devices !
Old 11-22-2020, 06:09 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Addict
... Let's hope the American Dodge Ram drivers are willing to share their knowledge about the scanning tools available for the public , especially those "cases" that love to get their hands dirty themselves instead of dropping the truck at the dealership !

Hope to read your reply soon ...

Greetings , R
This group seems more than willing to help out.

Most seem to recommend/look for older Snap-On MT2500’s on eBay, or the more modern Solus.
If you just want the basics, any scanner that reads OBD2 off Amazon.

Last edited by Spillage; 11-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:00 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

That's a difficult one. On the 2nd gens the PCM is only controlling the engine and possibly the transmission (after 95). Pretty much all other electronics (ABS, Airbag, central timer module, instrument cluster on post 97 models) talk on the CCD bus which is different from the standard OBD2 protocols. Run of the mill OBD2 tools can't do that, so you either need a really expensive shop level scan tool (Snap-on, Bosch, maybe Autel although I read they are somewhat weak with older vehicles). The other option is, as Spillage noted above, finding an older shop level tool. The Snap-on "red brick" is popular, and personally I can recommend the OTC Genisys (or any of their rebranded variants). With either one make sure you get the proper "keys" or in case of the Genisys they have a Smart cable.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:01 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Another vote for the older Snap-On MT2500 scanner. You can find these used on eBay, possibly on Facebook Marketplace and sometimes on Craigslist (https://brussels.craigslist.org/). You will also need the Dodge/Chrysler cartridge for it to operate on your year/make truck.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:26 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Well, as a new guy, you can get the glue from the price sticker off your neck with a little diesel fuel or WD-40. (I know, it's an old joke, then again, so am I) On a serious note, what year is your truck? I've never used anything more than a regular OBD II scanner. One thing about Mopars, they still use the key dance to read codes. Ever since they have have had OBD systems, you can check with the ignition switch by turning it on, off, on, off, and leave it on the third time. Do NOT bump the starter. By doing this, you tell the computer to go into self test mode. On older, OBD I systems, the check engine light will flash 2 digit codes. You count the flashes. You will probably get code 12 which means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 or 75 key starts. If you have later OBD II systems (1996 and later) the odometer will show the error code(s).

Old 11-23-2020, 06:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You didn't say what year your truck is, There are ways to get OBD codes without buying anything, It's called the key dance. This will work up to 97. You also can ground one of the pins on the obd plug to get the abs codes. I'm not sure if it works for all years. Another option is to get a bluetooth
scanner scanner
that you can read on your phone.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:36 AM
Addict

Hi guys ,

thank you for your contribution , the Snap On seems to be a little more expensive ( about 250 dollars ) but since it got 3 recommandations in a row ... no doubt anymore . I wrote one seller on Craigslist , who sells a Snap On that only has been used for demo's , if the Chrysler/Dodge cartridge is included and in working condition , the search is over !

Of course then the waiting and the stress begins : will it arrive before we retire , will it be undamaged , is everything present in the box as advertised , ... and so on ! Maybe we'll get a nice Christmas present , don't matter if we paid for it ourselves , as long as it's up for the job !

Allready a very big "thank you" from Belgium ! Greetz

Old 11-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Addict

What I forgot to mention : it's not about one truck ( then it would be an unnecessary expensive thing , I guess ... ) but about 5 different Ram 1500 pickup trucks , going from '94 to 2001 , so the whole production year scala is present ...

Issues with : automatic gearbox , engine , abs , ... I'm the "supervising" guinea pig , since I'm the one with the place to keep all that "automotive treasure" protected from the elements ! Belgium is not Siberia , but if you leave a truck parked outside for some time it will have MORE issues afterwards , that is a certainty ...

Old 11-23-2020, 10:55 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Addict
What I forgot to mention : it's not about one truck ( then it would be an unnecessary expensive thing , I guess ... ) but about 5 different Ram 1500 pickup trucks , going from '94 to 2001 , so the whole production year scala is present ...

Issues with : automatic gearbox , engine , abs , ... I'm the "supervising" guinea pig , since I'm the one with the place to keep all that "automotive treasure" protected from the elements ! Belgium is not Siberia , but if you leave a truck parked outside for some time it will have MORE issues afterwards , that is a certainty ...

The 1994 and '95 will be OBD I and the others will be OBD II. The codes are more specific for the later ones. On the other hand, there wasn't to much difference between the years except for the computer system. Mechanically, they will be pretty close to each other.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:19 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Yes, connecting the '94 - '95 trucks to the MT2500 will likely require the Dodge/Chrysler OBD-1 electrical connector and the Dodge/Chrysler MT2500 Snap-On cartridge that covers those years.

Quick Reply: Everything new here , the guy & the thread !