2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 -shudders around 45-55, lots of white smoke, no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 04:35 PM
JesBrum56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 -shudders around 45-55, lots of white smoke, no CEL

Hello. I'm a newbie. My beloved truck is having some problems. I've perused other similar threads and downloaded the manual as suggested by admin. Lots of abbreviations and stuff that were way above my pay grade and caused a headache. Could some compassionate soul dumb down possible solutions to my issues?
I have lots of white smoke. Used to be always sweet but now it sometimes smells burned. Not really losing coolant. No bubbles or anything. I did use k seal and other coolant and oil add ons from Wally world hoping for a quick fix. Not my luck. Losing oil but don't see any in the driveway?! No crazy looking things there either. The is a considerable amount of smoke. I just go faster and out run the cloud but when I get to a red light it catches up. And I feel kinda bad for the person behind me.
The shuddering is around approx 45-55mph area. Goes away when I turn OD off. But you can feel that it really wants to shudder as soon as I press that button again.
Things that have been done:
New thermostat, oil and filter, all the filters, plugs, wires and cap (pretty sure wires are not crossed). Got a hole drilled in the cat, did some fuel injector cleaner. There's some other stuff they did that I'll probably remember if someone suggests it to me. "They" are a few shade tree mechanics offering to help this broke azz nurse get to and from her patients on a daily basis and me. I'm a certified youtube dodge mechanic. So, if I haven't chased all the knowledgeable folks away...what are your suggestions
Oh yeah. Used to be CEL and misfire codes, CEL would blink, stay steady, I feel like it depended on how much I pushed her. No CEL light for a few months now. Wasnt cleared that I know of, it just went away. I thought it meant she was a gonner but she keeps on giving me her best and Id like to treat her right. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry the post is so long but I don't know shortened tech terms or whatnot. I'll learn ☺️

Old 12-09-2020, 06:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,394 Likes on 3,134 Posts

So long as the CEL comes on at startup, then goes out, you are ok.

The shudder around 45 or so is likely a misfire.... generally, when the PCM senses a lotta misfires, the cel will flash..... and there should be some misfire codes set.

Have you checked your plenum?? (there is a thread all about that particular problem stickied at the top of this forum.)

White smoke? Or is it more gray, or bluish?? White generally indicates burning coolant, the smell is quite distinctive.... careful though, it will burn your eyes and lungs....

Are you going thru any oil??

What plugs did you get??

The following users liked this post:
JesBrum56 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 07:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So long as the CEL comes on at startup, then goes out, you are ok.

The shudder around 45 or so is likely a misfire.... generally, when the PCM senses a lotta misfires, the cel will flash..... and there should be some misfire codes set.

Have you checked your plenum?? (there is a thread all about that particular problem stickied at the top of this forum.)

White smoke? Or is it more gray, or bluish?? White generally indicates burning coolant, the smell is quite distinctive.... careful though, it will burn your eyes and lungs....

Are you going thru any oil??

What plugs did you get??
She did say she's losing oil so I would say Plenum or rings

The following users liked this post:
JesBrum56 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 11:23 PM
JesBrum56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you. Hello there. It did have a misfire and I want to say it was 8 but not 100% I just got the cheapest plugs that autozone had because it was during the quarentine and even though the call us essential, they sure dont pay us essential money lol. The CEL was still glowing and I figured I had some wires crossed so fixed that and the light went off. I borrowed a sensor and I'm going to check for codes tomorrow.The smoke is more gray than blue and it smells like coolant at times, reminds me of celery in homemade chicken soup, and then sometimes it smells like something is burning and it's so strong that I run around the truck looking for flames. Haven't checked my plendum thingerbob. Just found about it today and read the sticky note. My friend said he did check it but I'm going to check it again to be sure. I'm already a step ahead in the game cause I have one of those magnet s on a pole thing already
😁

Old 12-10-2020, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,394 Likes on 3,134 Posts

May wanna test your coolant for combustion products..... local parts store will have a test kit you can rent. (gotta buy the chems though....)

Quick Reply: 99 -shudders around 45-55, lots of white smoke, no CEL