2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Spring/shock bushings?

Old 01-19-2021, 01:52 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think it could be dry u-joints, since I have to drive 30+ miles at 60-70 mph for the noise to be heard. It's like a rotational clunk, about one clunk per foot and only shows up after coming to a stop after highway driving and resuming driving slow and more so in reverse.. Am going to line up mechanic and drive 40 miles then go directly to his shop so we can hear where it's coming from . Can't hear it while driving at highway speeds I'll let you know. Thanks

Old 01-19-2021, 05:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Do you think it could be dry u-joints, since I have to drive 30+ miles at 60-70 mph for the noise to be heard. It's like a rotational clunk, about one clunk per foot and only shows up after coming to a stop after highway driving and resuming driving slow and more so in reverse.. Am going to line up mechanic and drive 40 miles then go directly to his shop so we can hear where it's coming from . Can't hear it while driving at highway speeds I'll let you know. Thanks
Possible. I one time has a driveline vibration and the u joints looks brand new. The rear one (at the diff) was so dry that is wore flat spots in the needle bearings

Old 03-06-2021, 01:25 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not resolved this noise yet. But have been describing the noise wrong. It is more like a popping sound, especially more noticeable when backing up slowly after driving at least 20 to 30 miles on the highway. Started happening right after having the rear fluid replaced along with friction modifier. it only makes the popping sound when going slow, if I drive normal there is no noise. The u-joints are good. Could something be heating up in the drum as the popping noise is louder on the drivers side rear. I even added another 4 0z of friction modifier, but didn't help. Starting to thinks it's the clutch pack. Would it be obvious from a visual inspection. It won't make the pop noise after sitting for 10 or 15 minutes of cool down time.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:29 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would pull the brake drums n check to see if anything has gone cattywompus.

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise