2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 4x4 drivers side axle nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 07:33 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 1500 4x4 drivers side axle nut

Haynes manual states some models have a left hand threaded nut. I can't get this thing to budge. Penetrating fluid, heat, impact and still not moving. What are your suggestions. I'm just short of splitting the damn thing and stop wasting time. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Old 12-18-2020, 11:11 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

The 2001 parts manual only shows one axle nut for both sides. More heat, more impact or try a breaker bar lifted with a floor jack. Splitting it is certainly an option as well.

The following users liked this post:
1SaltyGreenBean (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 01:24 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Put the wheel back on without the hub cover and lower the truck. Get a 3 or 4 ft pipe and it should break easily. The nut is torqued to like 180 lb/ft.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:49 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

That nut is on there tight for sure and its NOT left hand thread. A stout breaker bar with a long pipe on the end for leverage will break it loose. A good 3/4" impact wrench will also remove it, too.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:25 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

All right the old man and you guys got the axle nut off. Now the fun one. I need to replace the lower control arm. The rear bolt with some effort loosened and came off. the front however will not. I can't believe the bolt is that seized up to the bushing tube. After getting the axle out I was able to turn everything to the right and get a good hit on the bolt. I punch marked the adjuster and started whacking. After a few hits I climbed under and realized I am literally bending the bracket. Smoked up the garage a few times burning the rubber bushings when trying to heat it up. Soaked it heated it beat it. It ain't moving. Tried turning the bolt from the inside but still no luck. Again any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
And, the driver side seal. Does it come out of the axle or do I have to pull the hogs head cover. As always, Thanks in advance for looking and giving advice.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SaltyGreenBean
All right the old man and you guys got the axle nut off. Now the fun one. I need to replace the lower control arm. The rear bolt with some effort loosened and came off. the front however will not. I can't believe the bolt is that seized up to the bushing tube. After getting the axle out I was able to turn everything to the right and get a good hit on the bolt. I punch marked the adjuster and started whacking. After a few hits I climbed under and realized I am literally bending the bracket. Smoked up the garage a few times burning the rubber bushings when trying to heat it up. Soaked it heated it beat it. It ain't moving. Tried turning the bolt from the inside but still no luck. Again any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
And, the driver side seal. Does it come out of the axle or do I have to pull the hogs head cover. As always, Thanks in advance for looking and giving advice.
You have to cut the head and nut on that bolt. As for the seal you have to pull the cad

Old 12-19-2020, 06:20 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Cut it? I have the nut loose. Just on to protect the threads. Is this welded on or pressed? I thought it was set up to adjust the control arms. Should I cut it on the inside of the bracket, or outside of the bracket? Or do I need to cut the bolt on both of the inside part of the control arm bracket to allow the arm to drop? And thanks for the axle seal info. So I guess it's accessible after removing the cover( cad). I've done the passenger side twice. Had to make a puller from all thread. I did go through the vacuum shift motor access. I think that's what it's called

Old 12-19-2020, 07:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Cut it? I have the nut loose. Just on to protect the threads. Is this welded on or pressed? I thought it was set up to adjust the control arms. Should I cut it on the inside of the bracket, or outside of the bracket? Or do I need to cut the bolt on both of the inside part of the control arm bracket to allow the arm to drop? And thanks for the axle seal info. So I guess it's accessible after removing the cover( cad). I've done the passenger side twice. Had to make a puller from all thread. I did go through the vacuum shift motor access. I think that's what it's called
The problem is it gets welded on the with rust. Cut both ends between the control arm and bracket.

About the seal I thought you said passenger. To replace the drivers side you have to pull out the differential not just the cover.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:00 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The problem is it gets welded on the with rust. Cut both ends between the control arm and bracket.

About the seal I thought you said passenger. To replace the drivers side you have to pull out the differential not just the cover.
Understood. Guess I'll be on my back tomorrow. Also I need to get a real service manual somewhere. You just saved me a ton of time. For that I Thank you. Would you try a regular high grade bolt on the one I cut or do I need the adjustable one. Having trouble finding one.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:04 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Understood. Guess I'll be on my back tomorrow. Also I need to get a real service manual somewhere. You just saved me a ton of time. For that I Thank you. Would you try a regular high grade bolt on the one I cut or do I need the adjustable one. Having trouble finding one.
Service manual for your truck can be found here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Quick Reply: 01 1500 4x4 drivers side axle nut