2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unknown leaking and squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 08:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoodruff85
Another thing is my floorboards are both soaking wet.

Wet floor boards can be a couple of things. If your a/c drain is plugged up, rain water can build up and leak inside. If the carpet smells like antifreeze though, you either have a leaking heater core or a bad hose going to it.

The following users liked this post:
1SaltyGreenBean (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:34 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These guys have really been a major help to me also. 😊
This may be a silly question but can the truck be driven with pump going out and bad heater core also?
I mean you can still drive it. But I wouldn't put this off too long. I drove mine for about two weeks before making the repair, but my heater core wasn't leaking. Keep checking the anti-freeze level. I mean like every time you cut it off!!!
Oh yeah. What ol'grouch said was what mine did. cleaned out the drain and no more water sloshing around. Just need to make the checks these guys suggest. Let us know and good luck.

Last edited by 1SaltyGreenBean; 12-22-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

What the temp gauge. If you start getting hot, STOP, let it cool, and add more coolant..... DO NOT open a pressurized cooling system, (which on yours, likely won't last long, once you shut off the motor) pressure also raises the boiling point of the coolant, and when you open the cap when it's hot, boiling point drops like a stone, and you get a geyser of boiling coolant, that will burn you right quick. And it sticks...... so it keeps on burning.... Not a fun experience, and leaves permanent scars.......

Old 12-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Swoodruff85
Amateur

That's actually something that has baffled me. The truck hasn't ran hot and the gauge doesn't even hit the halfway mark. If anything it barely gets above the 130 degrees. The reservoir was empty when I checked the other day but my only issue has been wet floorboards and that's been going on for months and the squealing started like 2 days ago.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:51 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

That's actually something that has baffled me. The truck hasn't ran hot and the gauge doesn't even hit the halfway mark. If anything it barely gets above the 130 degrees. The reservoir was empty when I checked the other day but my only issue has been wet floorboards and that's been going on for months and the squealing started like 2 days ago.

How many miles on the engine. Specifically the timing chain? If you have a 195 thermostat, it should be pretty warm. I worked on a '94 once that had heat but wasn't too warm. I put a timing chain in it and that puppy would cook you afterward with the heat on full blast. Like the saltygreenbean said, if you replace the water pump, you have half the timing chain replacement work done already. You can check the timing chain for slop by popping the distributor cap off and marking the rotor location with a sharpie or soap stone. Do NOT use a pencil as the graphite can cause arcing inside the cap. Put another mark on the harmonic balancer. Now rotate the engine backwards by hand. Watch the rotor. When it starts to move, stop. Now measure how far the balancer went before the rotor moved. If it's more than 5 degrees or so, your timing chain is worn.They usually need replacement after 120,000 to 160,000 miles.

Now, if your floorboard doesn't smell like antifreeze, try cleaning the drain. If will be a little rubber thingie (<-------fancy technical term> on the firewall on the passenger side and handing down behind the engine. Just try flipping it with your finger. There may just be a little debris and this will break it loose and the water will flush it. Absolutely do NOT get your face under it. Reach down from above so you don't get a face full of some really nasty water. (Don't ask me how I know that.) If you poke something in there, like a pipe cleaner, don't go too far or you may poke a hole in the heater core and then you WILL have to replace it.

Take your time and look closely. You might just need a water pump and timing chain and the drain is just stopped up. If it needs a timing chain, after you replace it, you will notice both an increase in heat from the HVAC and improved fuel mileage. You won't get 50 MPG, but that '94 with the V-6 went from 17 to 23 MPG. Just make sure your thermostat is good. I'd put a new 195 while everything was apart. Do NOT use a Failsafe unit as every one of those I've put in failed open. I bought a truck one that was getting 8 MPG (it was a 1 ton dually) and nothing more than a proper thermostat it went up to 11.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:24 PM
Swoodruff85
Amateur

I'm not sure how many miles on the timing chain and all of that however on my engine there is a 241,000 miles on it as of 3 days ago when I changed the oil. I'm trying to decide if I will be able to do the water pump replacement myself or if I should pay someone to do it seeing as how I try to do everything that I can so I can a save money and be I like to work on my own vehicle I just don't know. I put a thermostat on the truck about a year ago so it should be just fine. the only thing that I haven't done myself on this truck is put the rear end on it and I had to have a new transmission but everything else I've done myself. to check the leaking yesterday I filled the radiator and also the reservoir with antifreeze and drove the truck about 5 mi then brought it home and parked it the squealing was pretty annoying and the leak was not very bad but it was noticeable when you look up under the truck... I come out this morning to check everything and it's like nothing else has leaked out the reservoir is still the same level and the radiator itself still had plenty of antifreeze in it so I'm very confused.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

It doesn't take much of a leak to make a BIG mess. Especially if it's being tossed around by the fan, and pulleys, etc.

You DO have a leak though, so, something to keep in mind.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I'm not sure how many miles on the timing chain and all of that however on my engine there is a 241,000 miles on it as of 3 days ago when I changed the oil. I'm trying to decide if I will be able to do the water pump replacement myself or if I should pay someone to do it seeing as how I try to do everything that I can so I can a save money and be I like to work on my own vehicle I just don't know. I put a thermostat on the truck about a year ago so it should be just fine. the only thing that I haven't done myself on this truck is put the rear end on it and I had to have a new transmission but everything else I've done myself. to check the leaking yesterday I filled the radiator and also the reservoir with antifreeze and drove the truck about 5 mi then brought it home and parked it the squealing was pretty annoying and the leak was not very bad but it was noticeable when you look up under the truck... I come out this morning to check everything and it's like nothing else has leaked out the reservoir is still the same level and the radiator itself still had plenty of antifreeze in it so I'm very confused.

I think the leak is only when you have pressure and the shaft is turning. Replacing the pump will be mostly basic hand tools. If you want to change the timing chain, you will need a harmonic balancer puller. You can borrow (well, actually, you buy it and then they refund the money when you bring it back) a tool kit to remove and install the balancer. It's usually easier to drop the oil pan to do this. I've seen and done chains with the pan intact but the repair wasn't as clean as I like. If you do drop the pan, now would be a good time to add a high VOLUME oil pump. This will compensate for worn bearings inside the engine. You don't want a high pressure unit. That will blow the bearings out and shorten the engines remaining life.

Your heater core is a separate issue. If it's really leaking, it'll need to be replaced. I've used Aluma-seal to stop small leaks until I had time to do a proper repair but sealers tend to plug things up too. If your drain is just plugged, you'll be amazed at the heat that puppy will put out when the engine is warm. You'll even get a slight MPG improvement. You won't get 50 MPG but you'll get a couple more.

Quick Reply: Unknown leaking and squeal