2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck keeps dying when I let off the gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:00 AM
Victoria Chambers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My truck keeps dying when I let off the gas

My battery died so it’s been sitting for a couple weeks, but finally got it jump started and I let it run for about 30, but when I went to start it again after around 15 minutes it would start but would then die when I let off the gas, it’s a 2001 ram 1500 by the way

Old 12-24-2020, 03:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

How old is the battery? Have it load tested to see what condition it's in. Weak batteries can cause this.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to second gen ram section for ya.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:29 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoria Chambers
My battery died so it’s been sitting for a couple weeks, but finally got it jump started and I let it run for about 30, but when I went to start it again after around 15 minutes it would start but would then die when I let off the gas, it’s a 2001 ram 1500 by the way

Get a volt/ohm meter and check both your battery and your charging system. Your battery should be a little over 12 volts at rest. Around 12.5 but it varies. If it sits overnight, and you find it around 10 volts, you have a bad cell. In that case you need a new battery. When you start the truck, it should go up to 1.5 to 14.5. Maybe a little higher. This is your alternator charging the battery and supplying the electrical system with power. If it's not charging, you're running off your battery. That's when you have the alternator tested. I usually pull it and have it bench tested. Places like AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance and so on test them for free. After all, if it's bad and you need a new (Well, rebuilt) one, you're there and they have them in stock. Digital volt/ohm meters are really handy. You can get them anywhere from $10 and up. Just set it to the 20 volt setting and put the red electrode on the positive battery terminal (+) and the black on either the negative battery post or the body ground.

If the battery and electical system check out okay, you may just need the throttle plate in your throttle body cleaned.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:25 PM
Victoria Chambers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyvm

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Get a volt/ohm meter and check both your battery and your charging system. Your battery should be a little over 12 volts at rest. Around 12.5 but it varies. If it sits overnight, and you find it around 10 volts, you have a bad cell. In that case you need a new battery. When you start the truck, it should go up to 1.5 to 14.5. Maybe a little higher. This is your alternator charging the battery and supplying the electrical system with power. If it's not charging, you're running off your battery. That's when you have the alternator tested. I usually pull it and have it bench tested. Places like AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance and so on test them for free. After all, if it's bad and you need a new (Well, rebuilt) one, you're there and they have them in stock. Digital volt/ohm meters are really handy. You can get them anywhere from $10 and up. Just set it to the 20 volt setting and put the red electrode on the positive battery terminal (+) and the black on either the negative battery post or the body ground.

If the battery and electical system check out okay, you may just need the throttle plate in your throttle body cleaned.
tyvm for helping me and taking time out of ur day to do so, hope u had a wonderful Christmas