2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

running like garbage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 10:32 AM
2001Ram rag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running like garbage

ok so i just bought my first truck its a 2001 dodge ram with the 5.2 very clean truck no cracks in the dash clean interior just super nice but theres one issue its runs like crap. so when you crank her up it sounds like there is a monster cam and blub blub blub for about 10 seconds then it idles out and also affiliated with this is a major power decrease you put it to the floor and it feels like you have a 45 foot boat behind you lol and just recently when you crank it in the cold it will do the blub blub then try to die unless you have your foot on the gas at about 1500 rpm once its warm it can idle on its own if anyone has and info i am all ears at this point

Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Have you checked the plenum? Read the stickied thread on how to test.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:39 AM
2001Ram rag

i have not i have read that is a common issue in these trucks and could be why its running so rich if its being choked on oil??

Old 01-05-2021, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

What makes you think it is running rich?

How old are the spark plugs and such? What brand/kind are they? Did it run good when you got it, and this is something new? Or has it always been like that? Check engine lite on by any chance?? Previous owner done any work to it??

Old 01-05-2021, 10:51 AM
2001Ram rag

hey man thanks for the reply so i can deffiantly tell its rich the smell is really evident and i replaced the plugs i put in champions the check engine light is on we hooked up a code reader it came up as a shift sensor code we cleared it the lights is back on because i unplugged the o2 sensors just checking of it made it run better which it did then plugged them back in back to crap as far as the other owner i dont really know what he did apparenty he dogged it from what i am told never checked fluids the day he dropped it off at my house it had the slightest bit of oil on the dipstick i thought it was injectors originally but i think i have a bigger problem here!!

Old 01-05-2021, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it runs better with the O2's unplugged, likely time to replace them. (NTK or Denso sensors only please, the bosch fellers just don't work quite right in these trucks.) Can your scanner read live data? I would be interested to see what the PCM thought engine temp, and IAT values are. May wanna check the cap/rotor as well. Yeah, I know, major pain in the keester to play with those......

Need to check the plenum too. Oil consumption, and crappy performance are symptoms of that. And the burning oil tends to foul O2 sensors, and clog the cat.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:01 AM
2001Ram rag

ahhhh i dont belive it reads live data but i want to invest in a better scanner and yea a full tune up was my next move cap rotor all that jazz if it runs right after the cap and rotor it will be a miracle but im leaning more towards the darn plenum and pretty sure the cat is getting clogged im just very curious why it does the blub blub blub then clears up

Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the temp sensor is telling the PCM lies, it WILL run rather funky. That's why I wanna see what those values are.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:07 AM
2001Ram rag

gotcha oh and another thing so once its done with the wierd idle thing and its running smooth in park you touch the gas the slightest bit and the rpms go to 1200 and stay there almost like its sticking then goes back down is that a bad TPS or dirty throttle body i grenaded that thing with carb cleaner lol

Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might be either, or both. Wouldn't hurt to actually pull the throttle body off, remove the IAC motor, and thoroughly clean everything. Leave the battery disconnected while you are dealing with it, and when you have it all back together, turn the ignition On, (not start) count to ten, (don't touch anything) THEN start it up. It should re-learn idle fairly quickly. Also make sure it is a REAL Mopar IAC in there. The aftermarket fellers kinda suck.

Quick Reply: running like garbage