2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'98 5.9 (gas) bucking and surging

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:11 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts
Default '98 5.9 (gas) bucking and surging

Recently had to diagnose a '98 1500 bucking and shaking, particularly when "lugging it" in OD. Lots of threads on this i realize. Generally these symptoms when lugging it are a misfire.

At first wasn't getting any codes at all. I knew plugs were due anyway so first I pulled all the plugs to inspect. They actually all looked great but of course I just went ahead and replaced, no sense putting old plugs back in..

Symptoms persisted and was finally able to drive it enough we got a PENDING code for a misfire on #3. At least this provided a place to focus so tested #3 plug wire and no continuity at all. Swapped on a different plug wire on #3 just to confirm and sure enough problem resolved.

So I guess the moral is keep driving and checking those pending codes. Of course no CEL was yet tripped as it was pending.

I tried to find Onboard Monitoring/Mode 6 data on this '98 using my Autel 808 but it didn't seem to exist (comes up on my Fords). If I coulda found actual misfire counts I wouldn't be at the mercy of waiting for a pending code.

I didn't find this exact tech in my searches (I very well may have just never clicked on the right search result), so hoping it helps someone. Don't rule out plug wires and keep checking pending codes. Wires should be about 12k ohms resistance, but we had NOTHING on #3 with no visible damage to wire or connectors.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Recently had to diagnose a '98 1500 bucking and shaking, particularly when "lugging it" in OD. Lots of threads on this i realize. Generally these symptoms when lugging it are a misfire.

At first wasn't getting any codes at all. I knew plugs were due anyway so first I pulled all the plugs to inspect. They actually all looked great but of course I just went ahead and replaced, no sense putting old plugs back in..

Symptoms persisted and was finally able to drive it enough we got a PENDING code for a misfire on #3. At least this provided a place to focus so tested #3 plug wire and no continuity at all. Swapped on a different plug wire on #3 just to confirm and sure enough problem resolved.

So I guess the moral is keep driving and checking those pending codes. Of course no CEL was yet tripped as it was pending.

I tried to find Onboard Monitoring/Mode 6 data on this '98 using my Autel 808 but it didn't seem to exist (comes up on my Fords). If I coulda found actual misfire counts I wouldn't be at the mercy of waiting for a pending code.

I didn't find this exact tech in my searches (I very well may have just never clicked on the right search result), so hoping it helps someone. Don't rule out plug wires and keep checking pending codes. Wires should be about 12k ohms resistance, but we had NOTHING on #3 with no visible damage to wire or connectors.
Autel can't read Dodge misfires. Only 3 scanner brands can. That's Snap-On, OEM, and finally OTC

Old 01-31-2021, 11:41 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Autel can't read Dodge misfires. Only 3 scanner brands can. That's Snap-On, OEM, and finally OTC
Thank you, now I know! Do you have a specific reco of a model that's not crazy expensive? I service several of these 2nd Gens so would be nice to be able to see misfire counts by cylinder

Old 01-31-2021, 01:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Thank you, now I know! Do you have a specific reco of a model that's not crazy expensive? I service several of these 2nd Gens so would be nice to be able to see misfire counts by cylinder
Cheapest one would be a Snap On MT2500

Old 01-31-2021, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Cheapest one would be a Snap On MT2500
Which is good for vehicles up to 2006, I think.... (if you have the right cartridges/keys.)

Old 01-31-2021, 01:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Which is good for vehicles up to 2006, I think.... (if you have the right cartridges/keys.)
I believe that to be correct. Haven't used one since I started using OEM DRBlll and the Chrysler Wifi tool

Old 01-31-2021, 01:47 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

The Snappy brick? Wow I think I actually have one of those but not sure I have the appropriate cartridge. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2021, 03:37 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Well would ya look at that....maybe the access to those misfires was buried under my bench in a pile of creosote and abrasive dust all this time....

Old 01-31-2021, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Talk about good timing.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:23 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Well, the brick powers on with the OBD2 port (and appropriate Snap On adapter of course) but after entering vehicle details it just says no communication with vehicle even with key on. Tried several times

So.....not sure what to do with that.

Quick Reply: '98 5.9 (gas) bucking and surging