2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinions on Dodge Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 03:31 AM
LawsonCade
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Dodge Ram?

So I currently have a 2012 Challenger and was looking into trading it in for a nice truck. I really like the way RAM trucks look but I get flack all the time from friends on how they suck, they don't last, and are cheaply made. This of course coming from people that own Chevy and Ford, so their opinions don't matter too much for me. But anyone have any major problems with their trucks over the years? Any comments on RAM trucks?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

What year trucks are you looking at? This is the second gen section, then newest of which would be a 2002..... (2500, or 3500)

Motor Trend just picked the Ram 1500 TRX as it's Truck of the Year, the THIRD time Ram trucks have won that particular award, no other truck manufacturer has managed that trick.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:13 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LawsonCade
So I currently have a 2012 Challenger and was looking into trading it in for a nice truck. I really like the way RAM trucks look but I get flack all the time from friends on how they suck, they don't last, and are cheaply made. This of course coming from people that own Chevy and Ford, so their opinions don't matter too much for me. But anyone have any major problems with their trucks over the years? Any comments on RAM trucks?
As said what years are you looking at? Every generation of RAM has problems but they are very minor.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:42 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Your friends are to be pitied. They are suffering from prejudicial bias. If they own a Ford, Fords are the best. If they own a Chevy, Chevies are best. Basically, they are insecure and have to have reinforcement for their choice. I've had Fords, Chevies Dodges and they all are decent trucks. Yes, newer trucks are more delicate as the brutal approach for trucks from the 1980's and earlier won't cut it with emissions and fuel economy standards. I've had one Dodge with the 4.7 and it was okay but it was really maintenance intensive and the previous owner didn't do any. If you're buying a fairly new truck, find one you like and visit the service or parts department and see how often different things fail. This works on any brand. The sales force will tell you THEIR offering is the best. The service people don't care about sales. They are the ones that keep the lights on. Don't be a smart aleck, just be polite and they will be happy to tell you what's the least often seen vehicle.

For your Furd friends, ask how many have 5.4 engines. Then ask how many had the cam shaft solenoid fail. For the Chubbie and Gotta Mechanic Coming owners, ask how many recalls they have had on relatively new vehicles. Yes, Dodges, well, Rams, of today are not as robust as older one, but they are much more refined. I had a 1952 B3PW Power Wagon that didn't need roads. just a path with no big trees. It also rode like a log wagon and 30 was as fast as it wanted to go. My last Dodge was a 2003 and it wasn't equipped like I would order, but I took a refugee from the junk yard and corrected the lack of maintenance and it became a decent truck.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:05 PM
1997 Gear Rowin' Cummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up No big problems....23 years and counting.....go for it....

Lawson, the 2nd Gen Rams are my favorite.

Of course, a Gas 1500 2x is a very different animal versus say my particular Turbo Diesel Ram:

Its a 1997 2500 Cummins Diesel Ram, Club cab, longbed SLT, 5 speed manual has been better than I could ask for. No weak spots other than somewhat cheap paint & interior materials - but those can be remedied. The design is solid & proven - looks are great - to my eyes it looks perfect a very timeless style.

Are you looking for a gas 2x or a diesel 4x ? Or something in between ?

if this will be your first truck of any type, best suggestion is for you to drive a couple variants before ditching your car - so you're fully aware of what you're jumping into !

Hope that helps - Dave

Old 02-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Find a generation/year you like and look on the forums for the problem areas. Granted not all will have problems but you will know what the issues are. Such as the valve seats falling out of the heads on the 4.7's. Others will go 200k without an issue. New hemis had some issues with lifters where others will drive them 300k with no problems. In my opinion 80's trucks where probably the worse because of all the emissions stuff that was in it's infancy caused problems. Just look up "lean burn" issues.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Dodge Ram?