2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 2500 4x4 knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 01:59 PM
HD Rules
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I got them off. I used a three way combo. Using the trucks steering, a torch and a hub remover from Amazon ($140). I heated the knuckle up a bit then had my son turn and hold the wheel as I whacked the hub remover with a 3 pound mallet. Took me about 1/2 hour each side. I had tried each way individually prior to doing all three. Doing it together is what it took. FYI, all the lube in the world never made it inside. Dry as a bone at the flange.

Now on to the axle shaft u-joints, ball joints and reinstalling it all.

Thanks all.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:20 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Rules
So I got them off. I used a three way combo. Using the trucks steering, a torch and a hub remover from Amazon ($140). I heated the knuckle up a bit then had my son turn and hold the wheel as I whacked the hub remover with a 3 pound mallet. Took me about 1/2 hour each side. I had tried each way individually prior to doing all three. Doing it together is what it took. FYI, all the lube in the world never made it inside. Dry as a bone at the flange.

Now on to the axle shaft u-joints, ball joints and reinstalling it all.

Thanks all.
Nice! The '02 I did required preloading with a puller and air hammer + chisel at bearing plate/knuckle interface and heat from the O/A.

You can hook onto the wheel studs and push on the stub axle and it just pushes on the center pin in the carrier.....I was a little worried about damaging the center pin but it appeared completely indifferent (changed gear oil so had cover off). However the u-joint causes the knuckle the want to "flop" front or back, so it's difficult to maintain a straight line pull.

Either way sounds like yours was much worse than mine (I'm nowhere near the rust belt), so good job!

Quick Reply: 2002 2500 4x4 knuckles