2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 07:10 PM
earl28529
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

I have a 1999 Ram 1500 5.2L. Cranking issue where I have to hold gas pedal down to make it start up. Hard to keep running. Have changed crank sensor, idle air control valve and just picked up a distributor pick up. Is there anything else I am overlooking. This is my sons truck and he is turning 16 this weekend and I can’t even get his truck to run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Disconnect the battery. Take the throttle body off the intake, and clean the snot out of it. Pay special attention to the IAC well. Make sure that is squeaky clean. You also want to be sure to use a genuine Mopar IAC. The aftermarket fellers just don't work good enough. Once you have it all back together, hook the battery back up, turn the key to On, not start, don't touch anything, count to ten, THEN start the truck. It should relearn idle fairly quickly. If it still doesn't want to idle on its own, check fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Starting issues