2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with 46RE Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
WillyStreetDruid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 46RE Transmission Swap

Ok, in a bit of a jam and need some help. Bought a too good to be true 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L with an automatic 46RE with a salter and a plow.

Tranny went out. Down the road at 55mph then nothing. Dropped the tranny pan to inspect for shavings etc. Nothing but burnt fluid and the lack of a gasket installed, they must have knew the tranny was going, filled with clean fluid and used the paste on kind. I took it for a long test drive, everything shifted fine. Yet in the end, I got suckered.

So I can get a tranny reasonably priced out of a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 automatic with a 5.9L. It's the same transmission 46RE but it is attached to a 360 motor, not the 318 like mine.

Here's the ?? I've read trying to research this that the 46RE tranny in the 5.9 motor may have a heavier or weighted torque converter. This would cause vibration, chatter, damage hooked up to a 5.2L engine. Externally balanced / Internally balanced, blah, blah, blah. Stuff with my limited mechanical experience that I only somewhat grasp.

I've also read that after 1995 Dodge put the extra weight on the flex plate instead of the torque converter. Thus, if I swap these two it may work just fine.

Anyone want to lend some expert advice to put the conflicting statements to rest? Will the transmission swap over ok? Will I have to change anything or make any adjustments?

Many, many thanks and much appreciated.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the transmissions won't interchange, but not because of the balance issue, but because of electronics..

scoot over to the 2nd gen section for better help, but in short the years play a big role in through what means the PCM communicates to the trans.. it can be re-worked, but is a PITA..

so far as the balance goes, a 318 is internally balanced at the flex plate.. a 360 is externally balanced with a harmonic balancer on the front of the crank.. any 360 harmonic balancer and 360 flex plate will be fine..

Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 AM
WillyStreetDruid

Originally Posted by drewactual
the transmissions won't interchange, but not because of the balance issue, but because of electronics..

scoot over to the 2nd gen section for better help, but in short the years play a big role in through what means the PCM communicates to the trans.. it can be re-worked, but is a PITA..

so far as the balance goes, a 318 is internally balanced at the flex plate.. a 360 is externally balanced with a harmonic balancer on the front of the crank.. any 360 harmonic balancer and 360 flex plate will be fine..
Thanks for the input. Ok, PCM issues. What if I used the PCM from the 1998? Hell at this point what if I just switched over the engine too. I can get the 360 motor and matching trans for 500 bucks. Prefer to just try to swap the trannies but....

Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM
WillyStreetDruid

Originally Posted by drewactual
Just to clarify then. If I try to put this 46RE from the 360 truck into my truck with the 318, I will have to add a 360 harmonic balancer and flex plate? Assuming of course I can work out the PCM electrical issues?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No, the trans works the same with either, I swapped a 5.9L into a 97 that had a 5.2L. Used the same 5.2L trans and torque converter.
You do not need to change anything but the transmission. Use the torque converter that comes with the new transmission and leave the 318 stuff (balancer and flex plate) on the 318.

Moved to correct forum.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
WillyStreetDruid

Originally Posted by lxman1
No, the trans works the same with either, I swapped a 5.9L into a 97 that had a 5.2L. Used the same 5.2L trans and torque converter.
You do not need to change anything but the transmission. Use the torque converter that comes with the new transmission and leave the 318 stuff (balancer and flex plate) on the 318.

Moved to correct forum.
Thanks bud. BTW love the color choice for your truck. I have a tree service with quite a few trucks and I'd love to make that the fleet color on all of them.

When you did your switch were the trucks the same years or different ones? Just worried now if there will be any electrical PCM issues.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:14 PM
Kaleb Dwyer
Amateur
Default Durango Tranny Swap

Originally Posted by WillyStreetDruid
Thanks bud. BTW love the color choice for your truck. I have a tree service with quite a few trucks and I'd love to make that the fleet color on all of them.

When you did your switch were the trucks the same years or different ones? Just worried now if there will be any electrical PCM issues.
Could I swap a 46re tranny out of a 2000 durango 5.9 4x4 into my 97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaleb Dwyer
Could I swap a 46re tranny out of a 2000 durango 5.9 4x4 into my 97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4?
I already answered this question once for you...... Earlier this morning.... But.....

Depends on where your t-case shifter mounts, if it mounts to the trans, then no, it won't work, as the newer trans won't have the mounts for it. Also, the electronics are different, and would have to be changed out to match your 97.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 durango 46re swapped to a 2000 durango with bad 46re

Can i swap a 2002 46re into a 2000 with a bad 46re and have little to no trouble?

Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 AM
Dodgefanman54

My guess is that the 46re from 2002 would match up with the 2000 model but it would ultimately have problems. I had to buy an exact replacement 46re for my truck when my transmission went gone. Found this article and it's a good read if you need a replacement buddy <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://transmissioninfo.wixsite.com...ssioninfo/46re

Quick Reply: Help with 46RE Transmission Swap