2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 4x4 Blower, windows, cruise not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 05:57 PM
Johnny Cox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 1500 4x4 Blower, windows, cruise not working

I don't drive my 1996 Ram 1500 often, but the other day several things were not working all at once. The Heater/AC blower would not come on, the power windows would not work, the turn signal dash indicators were out, the radio will not turn on, and the cruise control wont come on. The are also two warning lamps on, "BRAKE" and the (ABS) light. I have checked all fuses in the fuse panel (driver's side dash) and under the hood (behind battery).

These things DO still work: Power locks, power mirror, horn, exterior turn signal lamps, running lights, headlights, dash lights, overhead lights. The clock will display for 5 seconds when I hit the radio PWR button, but no radio.

Blower Troubleshooting:
There is power at the 30 amp blower fuse (driver's side dash), but no power at the blower motor connector (behind glovebox) with ignition On. According to the wiring diagram that I have, there should be a straight run from the 30amp fuse to the motor. The path to ground routes through the dash selector and the resistor block. I could not find voltage from either connector pin (orange or Black w/t) to chassis.

Power Windows Troubleshooting:
There is no power at the 30a power window (self-resetting) fuse with ignition On.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Johnny Cox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: The blower motor is good, as I jumped it straight off of the battery to test.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

One thing doesn't make sense: The blower motor fuse and the circuit breaker for the windows are fed by a single wire coming into the fuse block. Short of something broken in the back of the fuse block I can't see how one has power and one doesn't. Fuses 14 (ABS), 15, 16 (airbag) and F2 as well as the circuit breaker CB1 are hanging off that one circuit. If the ignition switch or the big 40A fuse 2 in the PDC are bad then either all or none would see power. Can you double check ?

Old 02-27-2021, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Check Fuse 14 (20amp) as well. I suspect that one is in the fuse block on the side of the dash, though, it might be in the PDC.......

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 4x4 Blower, windows, cruise not working