2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 ram overheating but right side of radiator is still cold.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
it has an efan wired straight to the battery for testing. Can the obd1 system tell you that info?
Yep. Just need a scanner that can read the data.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:25 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

it has an efan wired straight to the battery for testing. Can the obd1 system tell you that info?
my fault I forgot the electric part . Advance Auto used to sell a scanner they could do both for about $100 and it gave your basic data. Is the radiator still cold on one side?

Old 03-22-2021, 02:29 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you had good unobstructed flow through the radiator the bottom left corner of the radiator would not stay cold. It may be a few tens of degrees cooler than the hot water coming into the upper left side of the radiator but not cold.

Maybe the radiator, the hose or the inlet nozzle at the engine got plugged somehow?

You might try running it, from cold, with the radiator cap off, and observing what is going on when the t-stat opens. When the tstat opens you should be able to visibly see the rush of a fairly large volume of hot coolant transferring into the radiator from the engine almost like someone turned on a spigot for a few seconds, then stop after a few gallons has transferred. When that the tstat opens the bottom right corner of the radiator would go from cold to much warmer in an instant.

If you don't get a visibly appreciable volume of water transferring in a few seconds, then stopping, getting a temp delta across the radiator of a few tens of degrees, it seems like the tstat never really shuts off once it has opened, you should probably be looking for coolant flow blockage somewhere.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
If you had good unobstructed flow through the radiator the bottom left corner of the radiator would not stay cold. It may be a few tens of degrees cooler than the hot water coming into the upper left side of the radiator but not cold.

Maybe the radiator, the hose or the inlet nozzle at the engine got plugged somehow?

You might try running it, from cold, with the radiator cap off, and observing what is going on when the t-stat opens. When the tstat opens you should be able to visibly see the rush of a fairly large volume of hot coolant transferring into the radiator from the engine almost like someone turned on a spigot for a few seconds, then stop after a few gallons has transferred. When that the tstat opens the bottom right corner of the radiator would go from cold to much warmer in an instant.

If you don't get a visibly appreciable volume of water transferring in a few seconds, then stopping, getting a temp delta across the radiator of a few tens of degrees, it seems like the tstat never really shuts off once it has opened, you should probably be looking for coolant flow blockage somewhere.
I drained all the coolant from the radiator and block today. Removed the hoses and ran a water hose through the radiator. Water seemed to be free flowing as best as I could tell. Hooked hoses back up and filled with water. Ran until I quit getting air. After running for a while I got heat in the cab. Top a rad is warm bottom is cold. I disconnected the fan and let it run for a little bit. The entire top of the radiator and about half at the bottom got hot. But bottom right corner never got hot. Top driver corner is reading 195 bottom pass side is 75 with the cooling fan off reading with a inferred thermometer So it sure seems like maybe the rad is partially plugged. Are they worth getting someone to flush them or just replace it?

Old 03-22-2021, 08:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I drained all the coolant from the radiator and block today. Removed the hoses and ran a water hose through the radiator. Water seemed to be free flowing as best as I could tell. Hooked hoses back up and filled with water. Ran until I quit getting air. After running for a while I got heat in the cab. Top a rad is warm bottom is cold. I disconnected the fan and let it run for a little bit. The entire top of the radiator and about half at the bottom got hot. But bottom right corner never got hot. Top driver corner is reading 195 bottom pass side is 75 with the cooling fan off reading with a inferred thermometer So it sure seems like maybe the rad is partially plugged. Are they worth getting someone to flush them or just replace it?
Replace it

Old 03-22-2021, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Replace it
I agree. I think having it flushed will cost about the same as a stock replacement..... I think I paid under 140 for mine when it blew itself apart.......

Old 03-22-2021, 09:22 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I agree. I think having it flushed will cost about the same as a stock replacement..... I think I paid under 140 for mine when it blew itself apart.......
i found one on eBay for 90 shipped. I wonder if I should trust it. Says oem replacement.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

i found one on eBay for 90 shipped. I wonder if I should trust it. Says oem replacement.
Who made it? I think mine was a spectre, or some such...... It's what they had on the shelf at the parts store...... Was still in the truck when I sold it though.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Pulled the rad from the truck today when I got home. I did some back flushing with a garden hose. When I fill it full with water and let it go I get some string looking pieces coming out. I did talk to a local rad shop today that does flushing. I may let them look at it but if it’s going to be more then 40-50 I will just buy a new one. Found new one on the shelf for 120.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:22 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Who made it? I think mine was a spectre, or some such...... It's what they had on the shelf at the parts store...... Was still in the truck when I sold it though.
it was a no name.

Quick Reply: 95 ram overheating but right side of radiator is still cold.