2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 07:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
So you are saying unhook the low side gauge, then the high side gauge? Everything is new so I don't know if they are leaking.

If you unhook both, you won't get a reading. Unhook the low side (blue) hose and see if the vacuum holds. Then hook it back up and unhook the high side hose (red). I've seen atmospheric pressure (14 psi) seep in but the system gets charged and not leak out. It depends on how strong the valve springs are. If you aren't worried about the valves, pump it down and take a 30-45 minute break and come back. If the vacuum is holding, charge it and go.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you unhook both, you won't get a reading. Unhook the low side (blue) hose and see if the vacuum holds. Then hook it back up and unhook the high side hose (red). I've seen atmospheric pressure (14 psi) seep in but the system gets charged and not leak out. It depends on how strong the valve springs are. If you aren't worried about the valves, pump it down and take a 30-45 minute break and come back. If the vacuum is holding, charge it and go.
I was going to wait an hour as I did with house HVAC

Old 04-03-2021, 08:40 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I was going to wait an hour as I did with house HVAC

I think you've mentioned that. but I'm old and while kindly, rather forgetful. The tools and hardware will be different but the techniques should be similar.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:29 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I think you've mentioned that. but I'm old and while kindly, rather forgetful. The tools and hardware will be different but the techniques should be similar.
Good to know! I ordered
this this
kit, should be here Monday. After I read my dash out fix the wiring in going to do the AC. I'm all if I have any question. Thanks partner and hey I'm 23 and forgetful

Quick Reply: AC Oil