2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 12:58 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
So it's setup just like when I did HVAC due houses that's good to know.

That last part 😂😂

What I like about the R-134 setup, you CAN'T hook them up wrong. (Well, you can open the wrong valve, but if you'd do that, you don't need to be using them in the first place.) The low side hose will only go on the low side port. The same with high side. The old R-12 you have to watch what you do. I remember once I found out why the cans are called grenades. I watched a guy hook a can to a twin piston Chrysler system.Wrong port and he was lucky he was wearing a face shield. The bottom of the can was embedded in it.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
What I like about the R-134 setup, you CAN'T hook them up wrong. (Well, you can open the wrong valve, but if you'd do that, you don't need to be using them in the first place.) The low side hose will only go on the low side port. The same with high side. The old R-12 you have to watch what you do. I remember once I found out why the cans are called grenades. I watched a guy hook a can to a twin piston Chrysler system.Wrong port and he was lucky he was wearing a face shield. The bottom of the can was embedded in it.
Yeah they are idiot proof so are some houses. Others are like you said can go wrong quick. I don't have my license though to get the 25 pounds of R134A

Old 03-28-2021, 05:53 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Yeah they are idiot proof so are some houses. Others are like you said can go wrong quick. I don't have my license though to get the 25 pounds of R134A

I like the 12 ounce grenades. If the system holds 25 ounces, two cans after pump down and you're good to go. I get my R-134 by the case at a farm supply store and use it as needed. I borrow a recovery machine if I need it but otherwise I have my own equipment. I even have about 1 1/2 cases of R-12 sitting around. I didn't need a license when I ran a shop so I haven't bothered since then. I try not to fool with it at all, but if my car isn't cool, I'll fix it.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I like the 12 ounce grenades. If the system holds 25 ounces, two cans after pump down and you're good to go. I get my R-134 by the case at a farm supply store and use it as needed. I borrow a recovery machine if I need it but otherwise I have my own equipment. I even have about 1 1/2 cases of R-12 sitting around. I didn't need a license when I ran a shop so I haven't bothered since then. I try not to fool with it at all, but if my car isn't cool, I'll fix it.
so the system holds 25 ounces? I added I think 12 or 18 (have to look at the can) and it was cold but now it's lukewarm. Wonder if there is a leak (everything is new though) or if it needs more freon. I am going to buy the manifold gauges (Harbor Freight) and this pump to pull a vacuum what do you think? Where did you get a can piercer from?

Old 03-29-2021, 06:15 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

so the system holds 25 ounces? I added I think 12 or 18 (have to look at the can) and it was cold but now it's lukewarm. Wonder if there is a leak (everything is new though) or if it needs more freon. I am going to buy the manifold gauges (Harbor Freight) and this pump to pull a vacuum what do you think? Where did you get a can piercer from?

Every system is different for capacity. I said 25 ounces as that was what the manual called for on my PT Cruiser I worked on recently. It's often on the dryer but aftermarket parts don't have the sticker. As for the pump, I wouldn't waste my money on the venturi type. I've never seen them work properly. You want this one

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-61245.html

Start the pump then open the low side valve. Let it sit and pump for a while. Then you can shut the valve and turn the pump off and walk away and let it sit for 1/2 an hour or so. If it holds vacuum, you're ready to add refrigerant. You can get a can tap and adapter at parts stores like Autozone. Hook your can up, purge the air by cracking a valve and then charge it up.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Every system is different for capacity. I said 25 ounces as that was what the manual called for on my PT Cruiser I worked on recently. It's often on the dryer but aftermarket parts don't have the sticker. As for the pump, I wouldn't waste my money on the venturi type. I've never seen them work properly. You want this one

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-61245.html

Start the pump then open the low side valve. Let it sit and pump for a while. Then you can shut the valve and turn the pump off and walk away and let it sit for 1/2 an hour or so. If it holds vacuum, you're ready to add refrigerant. You can get a can tap and adapter at parts stores like Autozone. Hook your can up, purge the air by cracking a valve and then charge it up.
Something told me they you would suggest the expensive pump but I guess but it once but it right lol

Old 03-29-2021, 07:30 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Something told me they you would suggest the expensive pump but I guess but it once but it right lol

Actually, I didn't. HF has a more expensive pump. I suggested the 2.5 CFM. They have a more pricey 3.0 CFM unit for more money. I figure the OP is just now building his tool kit and it will do fine. Leave the bigger pump for someone doing it a lot.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Actually, I didn't. HF has a more expensive pump. I suggested the 2.5 CFM. They have a more pricey 3.0 CFM unit for more money. I figure the OP is just now building his tool kit and it will do fine. Leave the bigger pump for someone doing it a lot.
I meant compared to the $20 one lol I'm the OP and yeah I'm just building my AC arsenal never messed with recharging them

Old 03-30-2021, 06:16 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

I meant compared to the $20 one lol I'm the OP and yeah I'm just building my AC arsenal never messed with recharging them

One thing I see people forget is the PAG oil. Pour some into a spray can cap and soak the O rings in it before you put them in. Find out what weight PAG your system uses. PAG 45, 100 or whatever.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:00 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

One thing I see people forget is the PAG oil. Pour some into a spray can cap and soak the O rings in it before you put them in. Find out what weight PAG your system uses. PAG 45, 100 or whatever.
I know it called for SP-45 but I put 100 in it.

Quick Reply: AC Oil