2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My engine thirsts for fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Ramchie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine thirsts for fuel

So I have done a bunch of work lately to my truck. Went a little crazy, lost my job while I slowly lost my mind fixing my truck. Valve job, srpings, head gaskets, water pump, tstat, exhaust manifold issues. I finished, she turned on, she got me and my rig back to work.

I went out to hook up my trailer this morning, and it shut off when I put it in park. I suspect fuel injectors.

I replaced the fuel pump about 2 months ago. Drove to near empty for the first time in a long time and the pump just died. I was not able to salvage the part on top of the fuel pump. The fuel pressure regulator? I didn't really know what it was and was having trouble figuring out its purpose. I stuck a not stock regulator in the hole and used some sprinkler hose to connect it. Fit a little loose but with some caulk it has been okay. I know that sounds stupid as hell, but when I got down there to replace all this I discovered that the prievious owner had drilled holes in the regulators hose. So I figured whatever I was doing had to be better than what was working before.

Since doing that fuel pump replacement the truck ran great. But I started getting awful gas mileage and I noticed every time I took the fuel lid off the tank wanted to suck more air in than usual. Big whooshing noise. I had bigger issues at the time, I knew the head gasket job was coming..

I don't know much about fuel injectors but I noticed when reinstalling the intake manifold a couple of the injectors were stiff and some were able to spin freely. I assume they should not spin. Do any of yall know?

I have 12 o rings here for the fuel injectors. Came with gasket set, didn't know what they were. Is that all that I should replace on them or is it wise to just change out injectors.

Appreciate any help. Thank you

97' 5.9

How should I better diagnose the issue.
Would the engine crank if I used starter fluid, and the injectors were bad?

Last edited by Ramchie; 03-29-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:01 PM
Ramchie
Professional
Old 03-29-2021, 01:03 PM
Ramchie
Professional

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-system...lse&model=fuel

None of these look the the fuel pressure regulator...

pic is of mine. I'm remembering now, I bought the part online with the site telling me it was for my ram and upon arrival it wasn't

Last edited by Ramchie; 03-29-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Cylinder 3 was misfiring when the truck was running. Figured dirty injectors, got some injector cleaner last night and ran it. The injectors on the bottom right, cylinders 1 and 3? Those injectors spin freely

New development though, these bitches aren't cheap. $50 a pop.

Last edited by Ramchie; 03-29-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

It cranks, but won't start after it quit? Need to see what you are missing, fuel, or spark. If it fires on starting fluid, then yeah, you have a fuel problem. Injectors rarely fail though, If it is indeed a fuel problem, I would test fuel pressure first.

The following users liked this post:
Ramchie (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:14 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've seen this problem before. You're gas tank is supposed to breathe. That valve just north of your accusation finger knuckle in the pic is the gas tank purge solenoid. I'm guessin' it's prolly not working correctly, or the line from the tank is clogged with the remnants of the charcoal canister. If the tank is being drawn down by this valve that is stuck in the open position, then the engine vacuum will suck the gas tank flat n then the fuel pump has to suck against a vacuum above the fuel in the tank. The easiest way to test for this is to either leave the gas cap off, (of course the money light will come on) the gas tank n see if the problem subsides or just disconnect the tank purge solenoid.

The following users liked this post:
Ramchie (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 03:10 PM
Ramchie
Professional

You guys are the bomb.

My fault hey you- it would crank but not start. Died while putting it in park. Been idling bad, figured it was the computer resetting

So I unplugged that carbon filter- i call it that because I have replaced it once and gotten codes for it plenty- and after a longgggg crank she started to give life and came on! If I remember correctly, that things function is to recirculate the gas fumes or something? Guess I had that wrong.

should I replace it again? What is the problem with that thing. Could I circumvent it?

I will try and replace it and open up the old one tonight. See whats going on in there. Because this stuff is all related, can anyone tell me what that thing above the fuel pump does? Where can we find a part that actually fits. I see the o ring sold everywhere

Last edited by Ramchie; 03-29-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:30 PM
Ramchie
Professional

https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...300/364511_0_0

You had it closer than me, there it is.. I bought one from them. Hopefully I can find that lifetime warranty lol

Quick Reply: My engine thirsts for fuel