2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge Ram keeps dying in the heat

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Aaron Carl Turley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram keeps dying in the heat

Hello all I’m new to this forum so I hope I can get the answer I’m looking for. I bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd with the 5.9 . I love her but she’s been a pain in my *** ... every time it’s over 60 degrees I can run her for 30 min to an hour before either it dies no warning just cut off and then it will try to start but no turning over... Things I’ve replaced/ fixed. Water pump, battery, terminals to battery, and I just replaced the Ignition coil witch killed the battery entirely after running it for 10 minutes and shutting it off it completely died after that.. so I put the old coil in, jumped it and back to square one... the fuel pump sounds fine it seems to have pressure and it hums so I think I’ve ruled that out... my next thought is grounding... maybe bad grounding?

Old 03-30-2021, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

You have an electronic problem. Something gets hot, and fails. Need to find out what is missing when it won't start, spark, or fuel. Need to verify fuel pressure is correct, and that the injectors are being pulsed. Trouble is, there is a bunch of stuff that can cause those symptoms, and just throwing parts at it, will get REALLY expensive, and probably won't fix it.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:22 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Agree with HeyYou, hall effect sensors are specifically prone to heat related issues. One thing that can be an indication of a bad crank position sensor is the lack of a "tach bounce" during cranking. You can also try to diagnose with a voltmeter but it takes a bit of voodoo

Old 03-30-2021, 10:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Agree with HeyYou, hall effect sensors are specifically prone to heat related issues. One thing that can be an indication of a bad crank position sensor is the lack of a "tach bounce" during cranking. You can also try to diagnose with a voltmeter but it takes a bit of voodoo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_kK6U8a64
Everybody talks about the Tach bounce but I never seen any tach bounce while cranking

Old 03-31-2021, 09:14 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Everybody talks about the Tach bounce but I never seen any tach bounce while cranking
Just for you . Pulled the fuel pump relay and you can see the tach come up during cranking.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Just for you . Pulled the fuel pump relay and you can see the tach come up during cranking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcmK5sUAVNo
MIne doesn't do that! Lol I also get the weird problems

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram keeps dying in the heat