2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC setup question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC setup question

Hey everyone . Wondering if the air conditioning setups changed within the second gen years? I removed my compressor years ago because it was faulty and the condenser. Now I finally want to get one going again and if I go to the wreckers I wanna make sure I get the right one.im assuming as long as it's the v8 I'll be fine ? I have a 96 with a 2001 motor so I should be good ?

Old 04-05-2021, 09:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Hey everyone . Wondering if the air conditioning setups changed within the second gen years? I removed my compressor years ago because it was faulty and the condenser. Now I finally want to get one going again and if I go to the wreckers I wanna make sure I get the right one.im assuming as long as it's the v8 I'll be fine ? I have a 96 with a 2001 motor so I should be good ?
Some of the very early 1994 trucks had R-12 systems. Most of them though, and all the later ones used R-134 refrigerant. I generally prefer to use new parts as when a compressor fails, it dumps garbage through the system requiring a complete flush. If you're set on a used one, make sure the compressor will fit your bracket. The hoses and fittings should all be the same. Your belt will be a length which creates the number. The number denotes the size. You ABSOLUTELY want a new receiver/dryer. It will absorb the last bit of moisture after you pump the system down.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:29 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Some of the very early 1994 trucks had R-12 systems. Most of them though, and all the later ones used R-134 refrigerant. I generally prefer to use new parts as when a compressor fails, it dumps garbage through the system requiring a complete flush. If you're set on a used one, make sure the compressor will fit your bracket. The hoses and fittings should all be the same. Your belt will be a length which creates the number. The number denotes the size. You ABSOLUTELY want a new receiver/dryer. It will absorb the last bit of moisture after you pump the system down.

Yes I belive mine was the r134 before hand. When you say receiver /dryer do you mean the condenser in the front of the rad ?

Old 04-06-2021, 06:10 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Yes I belive mine was the r134 before hand. When you say receiver /dryer do you mean the condenser in the front of the rad ?

As you stand in front of the truck, the dryer is a large aluminum can like thingie (<---fancy technical term) in the left rear corner of the engine compartment. It looks like a huge soft drink can without a poptop. It has one refrigerant line going in and one out with the low pressure safety switch on the side.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:12 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
As you stand in front of the truck, the dryer is a large aluminum can like thingie (<---fancy technical term) in the left rear corner of the engine compartment. It looks like a huge soft drink can without a poptop. It has one refrigerant line going in and one out with the low pressure safety switch on the side.
I know exactly what your talking about now. It's going to be extremely hard to find that part " brand new" . What would be wrong from getting one out of a 2001 or close to. Still few years newer then my 96?

Old 04-08-2021, 06:21 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

I know exactly what your talking about now. It's going to be extremely hard to find that part " brand new" . What would be wrong from getting one out of a 2001 or close to. Still few years newer then my 96?

Not really, It's a normal service item. All the major parts chains, both in town and on the internet will have it. Whether you go to AutoZone, O'Reilly's or Rockauto or even Fleabay, it's available. Now, if you wanted a facotry unit for a 1956 Packard, that might be difficult, but your truck is common in the parts world.

Quick Reply: AC setup question